VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 #pinkbeetle. I've always been able to turn it off with the car still in drive. I thought that was kind of weird, but never having driven a beetle before I didn't know if that was normal. Anyway, I just got a form about beetles that can have the ignition turned off while still in drive, but it says it's when you turn the key off. My car is a keyless ignition. Does this recall apply to mine? it seems to me that it should, but I don't want to make an appointment and get there and have them tell me it doesn't apply since I have a keyless ignition.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
Can you restart the car in drive? I know in my keyless GTI you get a message on the screen that it has to be in park or neutral to start.

Having keyless does make things more interesting. I know I've turned my car off with it in drive before. I don't think its part of the recall though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I cannot start it in drive. But I have had some interesting experiences with starting to get out of my car and having it rolling on me.:D

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would assume, you are is still under the factory warranty and from what you are saying, there is a open recall on a related issue? Regardless, I would contact your local vw dealer asap and get it into the service dept, have them check for any open recalls and see, if your current issue is normal. When, you have the VW warranty in force; be sure, to get as many things fixed as possible; needless to say, once the warranty runs out, you are on your own and have to pay for repairs yourself. Let us know, how things work out with the dealer and any repairs or recalls are done to the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is a free recall update on this. I just had it fixed on my 2015 beetle. The part gets greasy and becomes faulty. I would check with the dealership and see if your car is included in the recall. Use your Vin#. It took about 40 minutes to fix.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi there,

Simply call a nearby VW dealer so they can confirm this recall applies to your car. Mine has to be done and is specified Recall 37M2. It's the shift lever microswitch that becomes defective after corrosive buildup. So it doesn't matter if you have keyless ignition or not, since the cause comes from the shift lever. In my case, there is no trouble yet but I'll specify them to do the recall at the next yearly oil change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts