NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately I have been kind of worried about Ernie, my 1999 2.0 N.B. His tranny has been kicking extra hard, and he seemed to be getting harder to start. I only had 30k on the tune up I gave him when I bought him. Yesterday the CEL came on and I thought it was the oxygen to fuel ratio. Ever since I had the new CAT convertor on, about once a year, the CEL comes on, it always reads the same thing. However this time, it was different. He said there was multiple codes, cylinder #2 & #3 was misfiring. I took it to the only place in Louisville that has been up front with me, and they suggested a tune up. I took him in this morning my favorite mechanic came in and said, "You have good plug wires on there, I just don't think it is the wires. He changed the plugs, pulled it out, still misfire on #2 & 3! He did a check on the wires, they were fine. He then decided it must be the coil. I went to lunch with my spouse, came back, Ernie was ready to go. I COULD NOT BELIEVE the difference!!!! He shifted so smooth I was ashamed I had waited so long! It was incredible how much more power he had too. I wonder how long he had been hitting on the 2 good cylinders and once in a while on the 2 bad ones. I just had to share this with my Bug Buddies! It is so nice when you have something done to your car, and you can tell the difference.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
So glad he is all better! :party:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
lately I have been kind of worried about Ernie, my 1999 2.0 N.B. His tranny has been kicking extra hard, and he seemed to be getting harder to start. I only had 30k on the tune up I gave him when I bought him. Yesterday the CEL came on and I thought it was the oxygen to fuel ratio. Ever since I had the new CAT convertor on, about once a year, the CEL comes on, it always reads the same thing. However this time, it was different. He said there was multiple codes, cylinder #2 & #3 was misfiring. I took it to the only place in Louisville that has been up front with me, and they suggested a tune up. I took him in this morning my favorite mechanic came in and said, "You have good plug wires on there, I just don't think it is the wires. He changed the plugs, pulled it out, still misfire on #2 & 3! He did a check on the wires, they were fine. He then decided it must be the coil. I went to lunch with my spouse, came back, Ernie was ready to go. I COULD NOT BELIEVE the difference!!!! He shifted so smooth I was ashamed I had waited so long! It was incredible how much more power he had too. I wonder how long he had been hitting on the 2 good cylinders and once in a while on the 2 bad ones. I just had to share this with my Bug Buddies! It is so nice when you have something done to your car, and you can tell the difference.
Excellent! Good, local, independent shops always like their name spread around, btw!

·
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! The thing is I didn't know the power i had all the time!!! We are taking a trip to North Carolina next week, I'll be able to see what kind of gas mileage i'll get with 4 cylinders!!! the best i've ever gotten in gas mileage is 24 or 25. :D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Even on the highway?! I would get 28-29 easy on the highway. Going 70, I would get 30-32.

Where in NC are you heading? I'll send a wave to you from Raleigh :D

·
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even on the highway?! I would get 28-29 easy on the highway. Going 70, I would get 30-32.

Where in NC are you heading? I'll send a wave to you from Raleigh :D
We went to Old Fort, NC to see friends. Then on to the Candle Light Christmas tour at Biltmore House & Gardens. We decided to take the Jeep instead of Ernie because I was meeting someone to pick up 200 CED video discs, needed the room. I have noticed on Ernie, when I am driving about 75-80 mph, the RPMs are usually up over 4,000 since the tune up, that number is just over 3,000!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts