NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my spoiler to come up. The first time I went over 90 MPH it came up and the dash light came on. After that, I have to use the switch to get it up. What is the problem?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
LOL... :D Ya know, admitting to speeding is not something I would do.

Here are spoiler highlights...

1) Spoiler raises automatically at 150 km/h
2) Spoiler lowers automatically at 130 km/h

If the dash light comes on then a malfunction in the spoiler system has occurred and a DTC is registered. You will need VCDS (aka Vag-Com) to read Spoiler codes.

You need to check control module J223.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, why would it have worked fine the first time (after I boght the car) I went over 90, then it does not come up (when I go over 90) I have to use the switch, so the spoiler works fine, but not getting the signal to go up when vehicle hits 90+

(The dash light that came on is the Spolier light, not a DTC light)

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Thanks Guys, why would it have worked fine the first time (after I boght the car) I went over 90, then it does not come up (when I go over 90) I have to use the switch, so the spoiler works fine, but not getting the signal to go up when vehicle hits 90+

(The dash light that came on is the Spolier light, not a DTC light)
You will not get a CEL light for a malfunctioning spoiler. The spoiler light is its own indicator that there is a problem. I do not recommend lubricating the spoiler hinge as that would attract dirt/grime and that would interfere with its operation. Unless you intend to clean and re-lube it regularly.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm fairly sure I have seen a TSB, regarding the lubrication of this. It is a part that MUST be lubricated, consider how infrequent it opens and closes. I'll have to check the Bentley and see how the circuit is protected from overload. If the motor struggled to open and close the spoiler, due to a lack of lubrication, it is entirely possible you overloaded the circuit. I thought there was a manual open/close switch on all years for this feature. I'll have to check the OM for your year.

I sold the '00 OM I had without copying, but the '01 OM indicates the same operating speeds for the spoiler to open and close. It does indicate, that, at least, on the '01, there is a manual switch underneath the dashboard on the left side of the steering column. 1 to raise, 2 to fold. Can't say for sure, but I would assume the '00 has the same switch. Have you tried this switch? Can't find the TSB, but perhaps someone who has the Bentley Repair DVD-ROM can look it up. I haven't loaded mine yet.

MORAV

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you read my first post the spoiler works fine with the switch. It does not come up on its own when I drive over 90, other than the very first time I tried it when I first bought the car. Since then, switch only.

If lubrication was an issue I don't think it would come up at all when the switch is activated

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You're right! Sorry.

Per the Bentley "The rear spoiler is controlled by the rear spoiler control module (J223). The cm will recognize malfunctions related to the rear spoiler system and store the information as DTCs in a permanent memory." Suggest you pull these codes for initial diagnosis.

Also, contrary to an earlier posting in the thread, as pertains to lubrication, again per the Bentley, gate guides get lubricated with grease, VW p/n G 000 450 02, rear spoiler rails get lubricated with grease, VW p/n G 052 778, obviously different lubricants.

And to further explain, not necessarily to you, but to others, the earlier post regarding the rear spoiler warning lamp - in a sense it is it's own indicator that there is a problem, not by coming on (contrary to the earlier post), but by NOT coming on, as the illuminated light indicates that the spoiler has raised, and by going off indicates that the spoiler has folded up.

I'm going to go review the wiring schematic for your year. There is a running change mid-year 2002, but I'm going to look at the pre 12/2002 change.

MORAV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts