NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 NB ride is pretty harsh, seems like I feel every bump in the road. I've got about 91k miles on this vehicle. What suspension parts go first? Or to put it another way, what replacement could make the most difference in softening the ride a bit?

thanks,,,,,,,

Chuck

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Just a consideration. The early ones came with stiffer springs than the latter ones. VW went to softer springs after the American customers complained about the harsh ride.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
My buddy's 98 got new shocks somewhere in the 130-150k range. He said that the replacements made an improvement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. It may be a combo of all these things. I do err on the side of higher tire pressure for MPG purposes. However, I also hear some kind of high pitched squeaking when I have my windows open. I can't really tell if it is related to bearings/wheels or the suspension.

Mine is a '99, though I know it was manufactured in '98. Seems like shocks are pretty inexpensive. Is it shocks in the back and struts in front or shocks all the way around? Sorry to be such a NOOB!

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
your strut bearings could also have something to do with it. Thay are at the top of the stut and allow the strut to rotate and pivot when compressed. When these you you will get a clunking sensation from the front of the car as well as some more noise. These are relatively inexpensive to replace, and you can upgrade to vr6 strut bearings which tend to be a little stronger.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Shocks & struts you've got it right.

And since they'll be off the car, replace the bushings front and rear, and the strut bearings too.

I imagine it's your springs makin' the squeeking noise; if it bothers you, you might want to change springs as well as dampers... but I imagine your stock springs are still fine functionally. You could probably get a cheap set from someone that's upgraded their system if you don't mind used suspension parts.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
bugasm99 said:
your strut bearings could also have something to do with it. Thay are at the top of the stut and allow the strut to rotate and pivot when compressed. When these you you will get a clunking sensation from the front of the car as well as some more noise. These are relatively inexpensive to replace, and you can upgrade to vr6 strut bearings which tend to be a little stronger.
Yep, yep. Buttercup's are starting to clunk now and I have to do the deed. Say how's the ride with the vr6 strut bearings. Buttercup is a y2k 1.8t and I thought her stiffness was due to the fact that she is a turbo bug. It dosen't bother me. She handles great though. The stiff ride reminds me of the 84 vettes when they had that racing suspension. For the life I can't remember the nomenclature for that option. I'm sure it'll pop in me ol noggin, once i'm finish with this post. Anyhoo, many complained about the vettes stiffness but is was the nature of the beast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts