NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new parakeet!! I've never had a bird before, so I am so excited!! I love getting new pets. I feel like a two year old...She hasn't really done much since we brought her home. I think she's scared. Anyway, here's a crappy pic from my phone! :D :D

Attachments

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Make sure you spend lots of time with your hand in the cage so she gets used to you!
Good luck!
SHes cute!

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
kaiimac said:
I just bought a new parakeet!! I've never had a bird before, so I am so excited!! I love getting new pets. I feel like a two year old...She hasn't really done much since we brought her home. I think she's scared. Anyway, here's a crappy pic from my phone! :D :D

They love the sound or running water. They enjoy taking baths in a mist or spray of water also, but make sure you get every thing out of the way, cause they will make a huge mess. It's fun to watch them play and sing.

·
18,312 Posts
FineExampl said:
parakeets are nice, just noisy. i like birds today. yay. have fun wit it
will you still like them.....tomorrow? :confused:
:ha:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on you new bird! I have two love birds, and they are just amazing. Once your bird gets used to your home environment, you can begin to put your hand in the cage, and with time it may eventually come on your finger! Also, as far as food goes, my birds enjoy bread, parsley, celery, lettuce, basil, and other green vegetables (in addition to their seeds, of course).

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Hey neighbor!

Congrats on the Keet! We have had about a dozen in the last 20 years. They are very sweet birds as long has you have just one. They do get ill easily so go ahead and find her a Vet that treats Keets. We have our first Cockatiel and he is wonderful. Best of luck to you and the newbie.

Oh, some of our Keets names have been:
Bleu
Fresca
Sprite
Chartruse
Bryn
Gwyn
Budge
and my Tiel is Sunny

What ya gonna name it?

Here's a link for ya.
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/questions/q4

and another:
http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the tips! Those websites are amazing. She still hasn't made a peep. We woke up this morning and unconvered her, and she was sitting in her water bowl! I think I need to get her a little bath. I already called my dog's vet, and she treats keets as well. I haven't seen her eat yet, so I am a little worried about that. She isn't skittish though...I can stick my hand in there and she just looks at it and tilts her head, like "that's nice...now what?" hehe. I have no idea what I am going to name her. I wanted something exotic. I was going to name her Loki, but nobody else likes that. haha. The woman at the pet store said they were noisy, but I really don't mind. I just can't stand the SCREAMING that parrots do, like my grandmother's sun conure. Anyway, here is another pic!:)

Attachments

·
18,312 Posts
Too too cute!!
My cockatiel was very quiet for the 1st few days I had him home. Now he wont ever shut up! :p Its cute though. Yes...keets can be very very noisy! Especially in the morning if theyre not covered. I had one and she screeched all the time if she was in her cage. I guess she wanted to be out all the time with me! ;)
Try rubbing her belly with the back of your pointer finger and give slight little nudges to see if she will hop on there!
She is so cute!! Have fun! :D

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
I got a bird once...

...was doing about 80 on the northway of the New York State Thruway on the way to Montreal, about 2 months after I got my car. Sucker bounced right off the top of the windshield, where it meets the metal.Scared the bejesus out of me. Fortunately it didn't damage anything.

Never got a birdie..

Did have a parakeet(budgie) once. Wife killed it by getting it too cold.

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
We have a green male parakeet. "Skittles" is his name. He whistles the adams family and clicks for the snap parts. He also says many things like "Talk to me turkey", "skittles is a pretty bird", "I love you","hello skittles" "give us a kiss, thank you" and somehow he learned to say "trick or treat". He mimics your tone of voice but it is much faster than human and sometimes hard to understand. He was very friendly from day one. He learned to wolf whistle the first day. He's 5 years old now and we have to clip his nails sometimes.
If your bird has a blue nose band on top of his beak then its a boy. Boys are the talkers. Our bird screeches when I run water at the sink. We cover the cage if he wont hush. He doesnt have his wings clipped and we let him out several times a week. I must say he is the easiest pet I have ever owned.

Attachments

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
I had 3 parakeets when I was young--- like 5-7 yrs old.

Which would explain why I named them all Tony after the Tony the Tiger adverts that were out then during my Sat morn Loony Toons.

I loved them all but 1 of them was better than all the rest.

It's a funny story now how he died but at the time--- not so much.......:eek:

·
beep beep!
106 Posts
Congrats on your new bird! So cute! ;)

Be careful if your bird is near the kitchen. If you cook with Teflon pans, the fumes are toxic to birds. It can kill in high enough doses. This happened to my mom's bird on Christmas day :( But enough downers, happy birding! Put up more pics when you can!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love her so much! I still don't know what I am going to name her, but we've made so much progress. I actually got her on my finger and then on my shoulder! She is so sweet, and so far, she hasn't made a peep. I hope that females talk as well. My chihuahua is SO jealous. I had to put him on the balcony in order to get the bird out, so he wouldn't whine and beg to be in my lap. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of her on my shoulder:

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
shutterbug and punkpie have some very good advice. i too, am a member at the tailfeathers community (user: callisto9) and it's a great forum! there are some very smart people over there. i've had 11 parakeets over the years and they are great little pets, if they are tame.

the names i've had: mango, beaksworth, beaker, palo, feathers, poof, marshie, kirby, peter, kiwi, oliver.

was yours hand-fed / tame? it looks like it. what a cutie!

there's a lot to learn about the little buggers, but if he's on your shoulder already, that's great! males are better talkers, generally speaking, but that's not to say she won't say a few things here and there. oliver is just learning to speak and so far he says "c'mere", "hi", "pretty bird", "beaky bird woo woo woo woo" and "mateo" (my cockatiel's name). he's a little character - very high energy. i love him!

i've had some bad luck with parakeets over the years. freak deaths and stuff. they can be very sensitive. be very careful with anything that emits fumes, chemicals, cleaning products, teflon, certain plants, drafts, etc.

here's my keet, oliver (8 months old).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Years ago we had two parakeets. My Mom named them Dumbs**t and Stupid.The cats would sit and watch them for hours! They didn't talk to us but they sure talked to each other! I would get another one but the cat I have now would find a way into that cage and have her lunch. Good luck with your new family member!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts