NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I just accepted a new job last week and will be moving from Manhattan, KS to Lawrence, KS. In the next month, I have the following on my plate:

- Finish a boatlad of work for my current employeer before I leave.
- Go visit family over the Holidays
- Find a subleaser for my place in Manhattan
- Find a place to live in Lawrence
- Pack all my crap
- Short snowboaring trip to Colorado
- Move to Lawrence
- Start new job

As such, I expect my time to be stretched pretty thin and I may not have a whole lot of time to dedicate to the org over the next month. Nothing to fear, though -- Ron, James, the rest of the staff, and all of you members have kept this place going on your own for much longer stretches before. I just wanted to let everyone know. :)

If you're interested in what I'll be doing in Lawrence, check out my blog post:

http://jeffcroft.com/blog/archives/2005/12/from_aggieville.php

Thanks, guys...
Jeff

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
good luck and best wishes for a safe and happy move and holidays! :wave: thanks for keeping us posted!

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
You mean there's more than one city in Kansas? :lol:

Congrats Jeff, and we'll try to keep some semblance of order.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Congrats Jeff! Best of luck in your new job, home, and town!

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FineExampl said:
Awesome Jeff! I know some great bands from Lawrence Kansas. Sadly i think they may have broken up. The Get Up Kids, TheAnniversary, Mates Of State, etc. AWESOME music scene in Lawrence!! I'm very jealous!
I went to High School with the Get Up Kids. And yes, they broke up. :(

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Congrats Jeff!

Being in the IS biz for a while I know how lucky you are to land this awesome opportunity. (so this is why I haven't heard from you about posting my picture!!!!!):D

Lots of luck with the undertaking your about to undertake!
--Connie

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lawrence and Manhattan are about an hour an fifteen minutes from each other (like 90 miles).

Here's a Kansas geography lesson...

Kansas City sits across the state line of Kansas and Missouri. Most of what you think of when you think of Kansas City is on the Missouri side. Overland Park and Olathe are right next to each other and are KC suburbs to the South, on the Kansas side of the state line. This is significant because I grew up in Olathe and you lived in OP. :)

About 30 miles to the west of KC on I-70 is Lawrence. This is where the University of Kansas is. About 30 miles farther west on I-70 is Topeka, where I used to live and the State Capital. About 60 miles farther west and a little bit North is Manhattan, where I'm currently living and where Kansas State University is.

So, Lawrence is about 30 miles from each Kansas City (to its East) and Topeka (to its West) and about 90 miles form Manhattan.

·
ney-ho-ma? (how are you?)
110 Posts
Well, My new job started Monday, July 30 at Twin Buttes (20 south of Lamar, CO). The first day, they had us all help take the top off the narcell (structure which houses the generator) and change out the generator. I was assigned tag line so I don't mess things up. The change went so smoothly that the unit came up around 9pm last night.

I was surprised today with a yaw gear change (motor that moves the unit around to face the wind. It was a late start and thunder storm forced us to shut down. GE does not like fried critters in their wind turbines.

I get to go to Sweetwater, TX for safety and rescue training next week. I am Jazzed!!!

Bad news, I twisted my ankle on sunday so I am known as festis from the old gunsmoke days.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts