Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a story of the Good the Bad and the Ugly-

The Good:
The new beetle is a great driving car, fun to drive, safe and really a lot of room for a small car

The Bad:
Its only great when its running - which aint often enough

The Ugly:
The dollars I hav spent on it in the past year

Somebody come and make my day - buy this car before I pour a gallon of highly explosive fuel on it and set it on fire.

I have put a new MAF, Throttle body, Crank Pos sensor, O2 Sensor on it in the past year. I am sure I am forgetting something.

2002 Beetle GLS - Auto - Silver gray int. 6 disc changer. I don't see how anyone can afford to own one of these dam cars. I hate this car.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Sorry to hear you hate your bug! :(
how much do you want for it and where are you located?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
You got the lemon. What do you want for it and where are you? I know a girl who needs something just like your car, and is it low miles?

For the record my 02.5 model 5speed has logged 78,000 with one check engine: A $6 coolant tempature sensor failed. I drive hard, and it stands up -- even when I ran over a semi tire at 80.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come and Get it

62,000 miles - I am the second owner.

Price is $7,800 - I live in North Mississippi

Car had a pretty hard life from previous owner. Has had rear bumper painted and few rock chips in front right fender. Its not a bad car - it just needs someone who is willing to give it some TLC and doesn't mind liftin' the bonnet from time to time.

It has had regular oil changes and inspections since I have onwed it (2+ years). Tires are in good shape - I bought two new last spring. Its a good lookin car only expected wear and tear on the exterior and a few cig burns from previous owner on the interior. Oh yea it does need an arm rest.

It is good to here that some beetles will actually go more than 10,000 without needing to spend $500.00 to get it going again.

As you can tell I am frustrated. I have never had a car I couldn't keep running reliably. I've had about every different car out there from BMW's to Hondas, but this mother is a mechanics dream. You will get to tinker with it every 6 months whether you want to or not!

My first car was a 75 beetle. I could fix anything on that car with a 13mm wrench and a pair of vice grips and I didn't have to have a code reader to decipher its trouble. Just some common sense and my 13mm wrench and vice grips.

Come and get it - its a bargain at $7,800.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The latest

For inzbug

The EPC light was going on and off after the car got to normal temp. Car would still run OK and excelerate. Idle varied from 900-1600 rmp. Fuel mileage suffered.

Ran codes and determined it needed a new Throttle Body. Ordered one and will put it on when it arrives Monday. A rather expensive "disposable part" I would say.

Why do throttle bodies go out on these cars so often? Never heard of a throttle body going bad on any other car - but everyone who owns a bettle is gonna put one eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Wow! North Mississippi -- My family is in Memphis. I don't think you'd be too far away from them, am I correct?

I'll talk to my friend. 7800 is a good price, does it have a sunroof? cloth seats, what color?

Thanks.. and yes, I am VERY glad my lil bug's been a good one. I don't put it past him to conk out any day, though. I DO miss the simplicity of the old bugs, I spent october road-readying a 74 standard for my friend's girlfriend. THAT was a LOT of fun! I loved it. We also did a V6 Accord timing belt at the same time -- that was NOT fun! And, it's my belief that ALL cars made past 1985 are designed to fall apart slowly, or quickly. The newer the faster. Service, service, service! ;)

Take care!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
NutterBug said:
It is good to here that some beetles will actually go more than 10,000 without needing to spend $500.00 to get it going again.
The stuff you listed that went wrong doesn't even total $500 - and are all easily installed by anyone with basic tools.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
New beetles, just like the old air-cooled beetles, require TLC...it is part of owning one. If you want a disposable "fire and forget" car, then VW is not for you. Heck even air cooled needed valve and carb adjustments every 3k miles and endless oil seal replacements.

Yes the engines are more complicated and require a different diagnosing technique, but they are definitely driveway tinker friendly. It sounds like you inherited a beetle that was abused, which means it probably was not maintained correctly. Our cars are drive by wire, so the throttle body has a little computer and and motor to adjust gas. So yes, it is possible for throttle body to go out.

Be patient and work through things and the car will treat you right. By all means, if you do not work on the car yourself, bring it to someone who knows VW engines or a German import garage.

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
I agree, although it is frustrating to do all that work with no payoff. The down side is that the next owner is going to get a sweet deal because all the hard stuff is done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kcfoxie said:
Wow! North Mississippi -- My family is in Memphis. I don't think you'd be too far away from them, am I correct?

I'll talk to my friend. 7800 is a good price, does it have a sunroof? cloth seats, what color?

Thanks.. and yes, I am VERY glad my lil bug's been a good one. I don't put it past him to conk out any day, though. I DO miss the simplicity of the old bugs, I spent october road-readying a 74 standard for my friend's girlfriend. THAT was a LOT of fun! I loved it. We also did a V6 Accord timing belt at the same time -- that was NOT fun! And, it's my belief that ALL cars made past 1985 are designed to fall apart slowly, or quickly. The newer the faster. Service, service, service! ;)

Take care!
I am about 100 miles from Memphis. The car is silver with grey vinyl interior. Its a GLS model with 6 disc changer in the trunk. Call me on my phone6624163714 if you are still interested. I have the car in autotrader.

I am planning on taking some pics today if it will stop raining!

Thanks to this forum and for all the folks who have offered help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oyveychris said:
I agree, although it is frustrating to do all that work with no payoff. The down side is that the next owner is going to get a sweet deal because all the hard stuff is done...
I sure hope the next owner has a better experience than I have had.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
NutterBug said:
I have put a new MAF, Throttle body, Crank Pos sensor, O2 Sensor on it in the past year. I am sure I am forgetting something.
wow, this is it and your ready to throw the towel in? right now all i can recommend is a Honda CRV. Ours is a 98 and it has needed zero, outside of normal maintenence.

Are you sourcing your parts or going through a dealer?

Did you perform a throttle body alignment first?

2 of your issues are 5-10 minute jobs, maybe even 3 but it sounds like $ is the problem.

good luck on the sale and next purchase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oneighturbo said:
wow, this is it and your ready to throw the towel in? right now all i can recommend is a Honda CRV. Ours is a 98 and it has needed zero, outside of normal maintenence.

Are you sourcing your parts or going through a dealer?

Did you perform a throttle body alignment first?

2 of your issues are 5-10 minute jobs, maybe even 3 but it sounds like $ is the problem.

good luck on the sale and next purchase.
The cost of the parts is not an issue or even having to put them on, the car is pretty simple to work on if a guy isn't too big. The issue is that the car stalls in the middle of an inersection with my 17 year old daughter at the wheel because a freakin' sensor quits sensing after 40,000 miles! I have spent more time trouble shooting and repairing this car more than all my other cars in the past 25 years combined. And its not a lemon - its NORMAL.

And its not just one sensor its multiple sensors that have had to be replaced. I suspect that many accidents have been caused from the EPC system shutting down a Beetle at a bad time. This car scares my daughter to death to drive.

I am tired of having to bow to the Lord each morning with a heartfelt prayer that the Beetle gets my daughter to school and back.

Hey I love VW's, but the new beetle is not for someone who can't diagnose a problem and then install a new part. Se la vi to the Beetle - come and get it.

·
Lauren
1 Posts
How could anyone hate a beetle?? My beetle is my bubble of happiness...completely inpenetrable by the evil forces of the world, including: the greenhouse effect, polution, snow, and most importantly...Hondas:D

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
ladyBUGlove98 said:
How could anyone hate a beetle?? My beetle is my bubble of happiness...completely inpenetrable by the evil forces of the world, including: the greenhouse effect, polution, snow, and most importantly...Hondas:D
Well...I can understand why Nutterbug hates his. All you have to do is read what he wrote. Once in a while you get a bad one...like any other car and no matter how much you put into it something is always breaking. It stinks but it happens. I, on the other hand, have not had any major problems with my Beetle (knock on wood) and I wouldnt trade her for the world.
Good luck gettin rid of your P.I.T.A. Nutterbug! :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hooray - 70 miles with no trouble - its a miracle!

Took the Beetle to work yesterday to make sure it would make the 70 mile round trip and not strand me on the side of the road. And again was in wonder at how well it drives and handles.

The good news is the beetle runs great again. For how long is anyones guess. Maybe if we all bow before the car Gods it will run for long time before anything else decides to quit.

Thanks for letting me rant - it has helped.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
That's good to hear. I hope all is well from now on.;)

I think you really like your New Beetle. Sometimes they give us fits, but we still love them. Kinda like kids! :lol:

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
i think this is just rediculous.

you say you bought the car used and that it had a pretty hard life from the previous owner, so if that's the case, most used vehicles that have a "hard life" you would want to stay away from. so, in a sense, these sort of problems should be expected.

i'm beginning to think it's not so much the car's fault as it is the previous owner. you can't beat the piss out of a car and run it into the ground and expect it to be in excellent running condition.

hope the car goes to a good home.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.