NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 New Beetle 4 cal 2.0 Eng, manual transmission, that has been having a lot of problems lately. I've gone to a mechanic and tomorrow will be my fifth time dropping my car off at this particular shop.

The issue I've been having is a rough idle among other things.

The things that the mechanic has fixed is:

Spark Plugs
Central Ignition Coil
Coolant Temp Sensor
Mass Air Sensor
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Thermostat Replacement

Now it's fixed a few things and that is great and all but it still isn't working properly entirely. It idles really rough/low and sometimes when I turn the car over and it starts it'll turn right back off because it's idling really low. It's idling below 1000 RPMs and I don't know if this is normal for this VW and if I'm just wasting my money at this mechanic. Any help would be really appreciated.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Idle should definitely be below 1000rpm. I think mine was around 800rpm (my GTI is around 750). That's totally normal.

Have you had the car scanned for codes?

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
As noted above; get the car scanned, post up the codes here then we can help you diagnose the problem.

The mechanic seems like he is kind of throwing parts at the problem, what kind of shop is this?

Why did you bring the car to him in the first place? What was the problem that you were trying to get repaired initially?

From a Parts perspective; he has pretty much replaced everything aside from the Spark plug wires! From what you were saying; he hasn't actually fix anything but he has replaced a lot of parts for you! These parts may or may not have needed to be replaced; the primary problem hasn't gone away!?

One thing that I'm not seeing on the list of things already done; is cleaning the throttlebody and realigning, adapting it. Cleaning is not hard to do; it's worth a shot and has cured other peoples Idle problems in the past.

Other baseline troubleshooting procedures I would think about would be: how is the fuel pressure and what is the compression of The cylinders? Did he test the spark plug wires as well; what about vacuum leaks?

Please get the car scanned and post up those codes! At some point you might need to look elsewhere for help; taking a car back to the shop five times, it's getting pretty ridiculous.
color]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts