NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm back. and like the title says, i cant stay away.

If you were a member when i was running the streets in my old turbo-s you might remember my old bug. it was a beast making 398whp and 364wtq. i ran it on the tv show "Pinks all out" and ran my best time that day, 12.3 seconds @121mph in the 1/4 mile.

my favorite pics of it are:

and

my build thread is here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/585-007-2004-platinum-grey-turbo-s.html

i miss that car it was such a joy to build and have fun in. i got a wild hair up my rear end one day and decided i wanted a GTI and one night started de-modding the thing. i sold all my parts (many freebies from sponsors) and then the car. never got my GTI and ended up spending the past 5 years in motorcycles.

well after almost dying on the tollway here in dallas, i am going back to what i know best... dubs. and more recognized, the New Beetle. (lady clipped my bike doing 80mph)(think about driving 80mph and jumping out of your car.... thats what i did basically)

i have always kept in contact with Marvins_dad (antoine) as he is a very close friend. from the day it was sold all i heard was, "when are you getting another vw?" i am very picky and after a very long time searching (not long enough) i found one cheap as hell and in *decent* shape. i didnt know Gandolph was for sale till after i put down the deposit which was non-refundable. im sad to hear the news BTW. Great guy/bug.

i plan on doing another awesome Turbo-S build and this is day 1. on day 1 i did nothing but admire it and have dreams of.... yeah yeah you get the picture.

i used to be a vw mechanic and was on the Merto Volswagen Race Team when we raced the Jetta in the SCCA. I kinda have an addicting personality when it comes to dubs so this should be fun.

if you need anything, ask away. its been 5 years and i might not remember everything. im very rusty at turning wrenches....

so funny story, i pick up the bug tonight and call antoine. he says he is going to the movies with his wife and i drive like crazy to his house so he can be the first one to see it. i kept him on the phone for almost an hour trying to make sure he didnt leave the house till i got there. i pull in and knock on the door an his wife says, "someones at the door and theres a beetle in the drive way.... thanks PAM! Twons like, "are you at my house?" WOMP WOMP...... ruined surprise. anyways we had a good time inspecting the car and he even gave me back some "show items" that i had given him that he was never going to use. it was kinda like "hey antoine, hold this crap for 5 years until i get a bug again"... lol..

im very happy to be back and i think he is too. thanks for staying on my ass to get another bug!!!

-jd

Attachments

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
Well, welcome "back" as it were; as a fellow turbo s owner... I will wait in eager anticipation for what you do with your New Beetle Turbo S (again). I recommend; that you beef up your transaxle; these 1st/2nd shifter fork rivets, have a way of letting go (ask me how I know)! There are some goodies; that have popped up for the 02M; since you were "away" that I am sure you will consider (e.g. steel shifter forks usp motorsports, ARP bolts, wavetrac diff etc.). Keep the pics and running changes coming! It will interesting to see how your approach to the car maybe different from the past Beetle; a possible emphases on reliability and bulletproofing components? So, your not left with a down and broken Beetle? :cool:

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
WELCOME BACK!! :D
I'm kinda new here but, IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK ON THE ORG!
Great looking new beetle too! Can't wait to see what you do to it to make it your own.

You DO look HAPPY to have a NEW BEETLE AGAIN too!!!

CONGRATS

:clap:
Sandi

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well after an evaluation of the new bug, i have an immediate wish list and a few parts that i need to get. here goes:

need:

ring that goes around the e-brake handle at the end (missing)
black glove box (broken)
headliner (its not bad, just dingy)
arm rest (broken)
all interior pieces (the rubber is scraping off)
OEM spare tire (has one, i dont trust it)
painted silver upper door panel (driver)(small crack)
door clips that hold door panel to door

Wish List:

coilovers
18" 8.5 front 9.0 rear fat lip rims (staggered)
euro switch
new tint job
intake
lower intake tube
forge or sparco hose kit
dv valve or 1/2 blow off
chip
n75 valve (j)
euro rear emblem
boost gauge/pod
clear corners
shark antenna

ill be content with that list for a while (who am i kidding?)

i would als0 like in the future to get stage 3, 28mm rear sway, c pillar bar, brembo calipers, sai delete, front strut tower brace, intercooler, carbon hood, painted roof, painted rear valance, abd intake manifold, 3" turbo-back exhaust, Raxles, short shifter, and possibly r32 seats.

more interested in the cosmetics right meow, and the lowering of the car. rimz would be next followed by go fast parts. ive already gone fast, i wanna look amazing this time.

-jd

p.s. if you know of any of these parts lemme know..

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
If you look at my sig, you'll see I'm a Two Turbo S gal, and I could n ot stay away either....... :eek:

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
What is broken on the arm rest? There are fixes for the floppy issue and now a company has made a inexpensive fix for the lid/button breakage problem.

armrest fix:

VWVortex.com - DIY: Armrest Fix

*Lifetime Warranty* Armrest Lid Hinges; repair kit.

Armrest Lid Hinges for VW MK4 cars - *Lifetime Warranty*

improved *Lifetime Warranty* Armrest Lid Latch; made out of a different type of plastic that is "indestructible"

VW Armrest Lids and replacement parts - Armrest Lid Replacement Parts - Replacement hinges and Latches - Lifetime Warranty - AARodriguez Corp.

Both of these can save you some dough; as long as the arm rest looks good, these will fix the problems that plague these things! You can save some dough; spend money on more fun things, go fast goodies! :)

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Billy you rock sir! thank you.

Scarab i am glad to be back and we need to hook up. id love to make a FL trip, i got a few friends down there. thanks for the kind words, its gunna be hard to live up to my old bug...

-jd

·
BEAR
109 Posts
Welcome back 007!
Pretty cool seeing ol school orgers round here AND back into a nB. Man your old TS was off the hook mang. Looks like you grabbed a nice replacement. Looking forward to what you're gonna cook up.
if you are not afraid to turn the wrenches your self then it has never been a better time to buy a New Beetle. Prices are great. Congrats on your New, New Beetle! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
Lol...tis true...I've badgered Jason ever since he told me he sold his TurboS. I think soon after you knew it was a mistake. I can't tell you guys how many beetles I have sent him links to over the years!

A side note...His 98 has been to Roswell, but he never has! 2015...weekend after Fathers Day...mark your calendar and put that baby seat in the car... you ARE going to Roswell!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Jd, we are having a full weekend of drag boat races,including Top Fuel here in early August on the beautiful lake Marble Falls. There is also a full quarter mile drag strip about 20 miles outside of Belton which is just south of Waco Texas when you get ready to make some passes in that little bug you got now! I lived in Dallas for about 5 years, worked at Service King as a collision repair tech. I know what its like up there, and it will be good to get away down here to the country every once in awhile. Lol! It's good to have you back, & I sure am glad you survived that little motorcycle incident. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the invite. ill see whats going on that time of the month.

-jd

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Cool story and both your Beetles are awesome! Have fun with the new one. I'm sorry to hear that Gandalf is for sale though....:(

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i would have bought it in a heartbeat if i hadnt already put down the deposit on this one. im making a build thread to show my progress on this one. im really glad to be back.

-jd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts