NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently became a new proud owner of a 2006 vw beetle convertible. It's flawless and was kept in almost perfect condition. The only problems I have, has to do with the convertible top. When I put my top down and start to drive, the indicator where the temp is located starts to blink and beep, saying it's not properly down. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, and is afraid of breaking it. Do I need to buckle the cover on to make it stop beeping? Because, for the life of me and my loved ones, can't buckle one side of that cover. Or is it something else that I'm missing?
Thank you for your time! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
While putting the top down, at the end, hear the motor for a few seconds, and look at the clock, until the warning goes out. Try that, and get back to us. :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hello!
I recently became a new proud owner of a 2006 vw beetle convertible. It's flawless and was kept in almost perfect condition. The only problems I have, has to do with the convertible top. When I put my top down and start to drive, the indicator where the temp is located starts to blink and beep, saying it's not properly down. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, and is afraid of breaking it. Do I need to buckle the cover on to make it stop beeping? Because, for the life of me and my loved ones, can't buckle one side of that cover. Or is it something else that I'm missing?
Thank you for your time! :eek:
The cover has nothing to do with the top alarm.

Likely there is a switch for one of the side wings may not be registering correctly.

But make sure you hold the top open switch until the display next to the temperature indicator is no longer yellow.

If you have a bad switch or sensor the indicator will not likely turn off.

Suggest you get this for $46 - Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

No guarantee it will clearly identify your problem, but this tool does seem to be able to communicate with many other modules than just the engine. Something you should have anyway for the price.

There are a number of sensors in the back that can determine if the top is fully open. Many people had problems with the side wings and some actually removed them, so check and see if all the side wings are still there. You can also take a picture and post back here for comments.

Also search the forums here for convertible top alarm issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's it!!!!

While putting the top down, at the end, hear the motor for a few seconds, and look at the clock, until the warning goes out. Try that, and get back to us. :)
Wow! That's it! Thank you so much for your help! I felt silly that it was so simple. I thought there could be something really wrong with it, but I rather feel silly than sad with something broken, am I right? Thank you again for your help! :D

·
2005 NBC owner
68 Posts
I freaked out too, had to pull out the manual!!! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My daughter had the same issue with her 07. I did notice when the top is all the way down and seated correctly there is a loud chime that lets you know it is all the way down. Same goes when she puts it back up, when its completely up the chime sounds as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts