NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
endlsskys
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey VW Gang

I went to get my oil changed and they would not do it. Car is a 2000 54545 miles on it. They told me they couldn't change the oil because of moisture in the engine. What could be the problem for this. Someone told me a Cracked block head. What ever the case I bought this car used from a car dealership about a year and half ago. Did carfax on it. PLEASE HELP ME STILL MAKING PAYMENTS ON THE CAR.

THANKS
Jesse

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
what kind of moisture?? if you pull the dipstick is it a cream color vs blackish gold? or did they see that cream color on the oil cap?

do you live where its cold?

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
You also don't have any info listed about what kind or year your Beetle is. This would help some too.

How did they determine there was moisture in the engine?

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jackfrost said:
or did they see that cream color on the oil cap?

do you live where its cold?
i know this isn't my thread, but the oil on my oil cap is cream colored. what does that mean? i do live where it's cold (now anyway).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well hello again Callisto!

I had that creamy white brownish stuff under my oil fill cap last winter. I wiped it off in the spring and it did not reappear all summer. Now that it is butt cold out again it has appeared again. The answer I got on it last year was if it was a creamy brown milky looking stuff you are ok and that it is from condensation in the engine from it now getting warm enough from not running long enough.

Anyone agree or disagree? This is the 3rd winter with my car and have had this problem every winter and have no problems with the car or loss of coolant.

Stay warm over there!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jbehm said:
I had that creamy white brownish stuff under my oil fill cap last winter. I wiped it off in the spring and it did not reappear all summer. Now that it is butt cold out again it has appeared again. The answer I got on it last year was if it was a creamy brown milky looking stuff you are ok and that it is from condensation in the engine from it now getting warm enough from not running long enough.
This is the only explanation I've ever heard as well.

But here is an interesting story - I always change oil in the Beetle with Castrol GTX 10W-40. I was out and had some cheapie Exxon 10W-40 so I used it for one oil change - within 1000 miles I had the creamy oil cap condensation issue. I wiped the cap and it came back.... wiped the cap again and it came back again. So I changed the oil and filter again and used Castrol GTX 10W-40 and the problem never returned.

Soooo.... not sure why one brand of oil over another would cause this issue, but my own empirical testing is good enough for me. :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
Well hello again Callisto!

Anyone agree or disagree? This is the 3rd winter with my car and have had this problem every winter and have no problems with the car or loss of coolant.

Stay warm over there!
hey there! thanks for the advice (you too pork!). i don't have my car running for long periods of time, especially in the winter. i need to go drive it for about 30 mins now and then. ;)

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
I guess I'm surprised they refused to change the oil citing "moisture" in it. How do they know how much moisture there is without actually draining the oil? A little condensation on the cap, or even a little moisture in there, could happen for a lot of reasons. But unless the oil is all looking like a milkshake, it's not likely to be any major amount of water, and to know that you really sorta need to drain the oil. So, I really cannot understand why they wouldn't change it for you.

If you have a major leak from the coolant system into your block I would really be surprised to see your car run very long at all. So, their position seems just very wierd, to me.

Are you sure they weren't just slacking? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts