VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
skye's keeper
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently totaled out my 06 nb convertible manual that I loved dearly. I have found a few for sale in the area. I've heard that the automatic transmissions are crap from vw. What's the best transmission? Also what is the best engine I've heard the 1.9tdi are reliable. Please help!!!

·
New Beetle Lover
126 Posts
Here's the line up of engines for 1998 - 2005 NBs.

1.8T - This is the most powerful of the engines from this time period at 180hp. These Bugs could really move with all that grunt, but these engines had an issue with sludge, so you really have to be strict with your oil changes and always use full synthetic. You should get 30 mpg, even with the auto trans. Also, the engine you're most likely to get a ticket with. :biglaugh: There was also a 150hp version that did not seem to have sludge problems.

2.0 - By far the most common engine. 115hp, but still has plenty of pep and great fun to drive. I get 24 - 28 mpg with mine. No issues with sludge.

1.9TDI - The least power at 90hp, but you won't notice it. I test drove one and It has plenty of passing power. As with any kind of diesel, the rest of the car will crumble to dust, but the engine will keep going and going and going and going ... 45 mpg and can go up to 55 mpg with a custom spoiler and hypermiling driving techniques.

Auto transmission - I know people complain about these, but I have owned two and I have never had an issue with either one. I think the issue has more to do with the fact that it isn't as snappy as the standard. There is also a "Triptronic" version that allows you to select a gear, if you have the need to drop it down into 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I get 24 - 28 mpg with the 2.0 engine and the Triptronic auto trans.

Standard - Many people love this and I believe it is because you get snappier performance out of it as well as excellent reliability and increased gas mileage. You can get up to 33 mpg from the 2.0 engine with this trans.

So, it really isn't a matter of which is best in so much as it is considering which is best for you, given your needs and how you drive your car.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What transmission; do you prefer? Auto or stick? The primary issue with the automatics; is the valve body failures and the cost of repairs, if the problem is more in depth, requiring a full rebuild or replacement. For a older New Beetle; the cost of a automatic repair/rebuild; can be more than the car is worth. :mad: This is why, we try to steer people away from the automatics; they fail, it is not a matter of "if" but "when", so you have to decide, how you are going to deal with the inevitable. The concerns are; what to do about repairs and the cost effectiveness, of dealing with a major failure like this and the uninformed; are shocked, when they are stuck with a car that won't work anymore (then they see what the repair costs are! OUCH!). These are the hard cold facts; by going with a stick, you bypass the inevitable valve body failure and high costs, associated with repairing it. The sticks can fail as well but in general; new clutches and flywheels; are what needs to be replaced, as they are a "normal" wear item(s). The oem Luk "rep set" oem clutch kits and dual mass flywheels; have really come down in price and the major cost; is the labor, required to do the clutch job.

Discuss, your desires and what you liked or didn't like about your previous New Beetle, you have had one before and we can go from there! :) There is NO "perfect" New Beetle; each one has its strengths and weakness. You have to balance this out with what bells/whistles; what you want to drive every day and the type of driver you are. Everything comes down to compromises and what you are willing to work with. Let us know! Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Here's the line up of engines for 1998 - 2005 NBs.

1.8T - This is the most powerful of the engines from this time period at 180hp. These Bugs could really move with all that grunt, but these engines had an issue with sludge, so you really have to be strict with your oil changes and always use full synthetic. You should get 30 mpg, even with the auto trans. Also, the engine you're most likely to get a ticket with. :biglaugh: There was also a 150hp version that did not seem to have sludge problems.
In the US, the 180hp 1.8t was only available in the Turbo S and came with a 6-spd manual transmission. 5000 a year were imported into US for the years 2002-04 only. The rest of the 1.8t models are 150hp with 5-spd manual or automatic transmissions. There was no convertible Turbo S.

·
Jerry
137 Posts
Convertible Turbo S sounds really enticing though! Maybe I'll have to create one if I ever came across a huge amount of money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts