NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need new brake pads and tie rod ends. The dealership quoted me $420 for the brake pads and $418 for the tie rod ends. I just wanted to make sure these were reasonable prices. I also wanted to ask if these are things that I could do myself.

I don't do much auto work at all, but I am comfortable following instructions as long as I don't need lots of special tools. Also, If these are things I can do myself, where is a good place for buying parts?

I have a 2003 New Beetle.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Kinda high on brake pads. You can replace your pads and turn the rotors, for under $200. Tie rod jobs can be a real pain if they get stuck. Check with some of the tire shop on the tie rod job. It might save you $100 or more.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi,
I need new brake pads and tie rod ends. The dealership quoted me $420 for the brake pads and $418 for the tie rod ends. I just wanted to make sure these were reasonable prices. I also wanted to ask if these are things that I could do myself.

I don't do much auto work at all, but I am comfortable following instructions as long as I don't need lots of special tools. Also, If these are things I can do myself, where is a good place for buying parts?

I have a 2003 New Beetle.
I have done my brakes in the summer and replaced them with EBC rotors and EBC unimax pads. Shipped to my door it was less than 200 bucks. It took me about 4 hours to do the brakes but that was mainly because I also painted my calipers while I was doing the brakes and I had to wait for each one of them to dry. The front brakes are easy. The rear ones a little tricky since you do need a tool that turns the caliper piston while pushing it back in. It was no big deal. I bought the tool from Harbor freight for around 20+ dollars. It has all sorts of adapters for any possible caliper.
The EBC rotors and pads are nothing fancy but they are high quality and did improve braking quite a bit. No squeaking either which I know some people that change the rotors to slotted and crossdrilled have. I am not sure where I got the parts from. I believe it was from Partsgeek. They usually have pretty good prices on maintenance items.

The tie rod ends are really cheap and I will probably swap mine out along with new control arm bushings and ball joints. That will be a little more of a project and I want the weather to be nice before I attempt this. After installation of those items you will need an alignment and that I know is something I can't do.

I know Opelmania got brakes from Brake Overstock.com and loves his. Here is a link:
Brakeoverstock - Products - Overview

Here is a link for a complete front end kit including new tie rods, ball joints and Control arms with new bushings for 131 and change. GREAT DEAL!!

Volkswagen Suspension Control Arm Kit Front (Beetle Golf Jetta) - VWCAKit1 | FCPEuro.com

And you can be certain that your lower control arm bushings are worn out and probably have to be replaced. And if you are already in there might as well do the whole shabang. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I guess my other question is this:
I've seen videos on Youtube of people replacing the tie rod ends, and counting the threads as they take them off so that they can get the alignment right when putting the new ones on.
Will I be OK doing this? is there a bit of room for error? If this doesn't quite work, will my alignment just be off or is there some other damage that I might do to my car?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I guess my other question is this:
I've seen videos on Youtube of people replacing the tie rod ends, and counting the threads as they take them off so that they can get the alignment right when putting the new ones on.
Will I be OK doing this? is there a bit of room for error? If this doesn't quite work, will my alignment just be off or is there some other damage that I might do to my car?
Well, your alignment will be off even if you count them just right. After installation of the Tie rods I would definitely get it aligned. If you do the tie rods you might as well do the Lower Control Arm bushings. The rear one (Donut) in particular. If it hasn't been replaced it is most definitely time. I would replace them with Heavy Duty TT or R32 type bushings. They are solid rubber instead of the one that come on the beetle which have one slit and two holes. Much better handling after you install them. Personally, I would just do the 3 most important parts while you are in there. Tie rods, Ball joints and Control Arms. It will save you money in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts