NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently, three days ago, bought my first bug. My 99 blue beetle has problems and is under warranty. It has issues. I must really love this thing to drive off the lot, have the check engine light turn on, and not immediately drive it back. (I did however call the dealer and told him I'd be bringing it to the shop on Wednesday.) It's got issues, some I knew of and others that popped up. The dealer is very sincere and apologetic and by no means comes off as a scam artist and I think most of these issues are all normal. I just want advice on how to fix some of them. My list of problem:
The biggest issue is my automatic transmission is slipping gears. It HATES going 30. It'll go 28 and 40 but not anywhere in 30 range. It'll sometimes jump after reversing and switching to drive, etc. etc.
The next big issue is the steering. I noticed this yesterday (yes check engine light is still on) it has a left pull, needs an alignment and the steering is EXTREMELY loose.

The littler stuff:
The driver side window motor is going.
The driver side window button gets jammed.
The passenger window button on the driver side gets stuck.
The trunk sometimes open, sometimes it doesn't.
The button for the trunk in the car is VERY stiff and needs to replaced.
The valet key (not the driver's key I guess, the second one.) none of the buttons work for the automatic locks or trunk.
My key's trunk button doesn't work.
The radio buttons, treb, bal, and fad cannot be pushed. The plastic is also cracked on that side of the radio.
The lock buttons on driver side need to be PUSHED to work.
Door handle on the passenger side is a little wonky/loose and weird feeling.
The vinyl (or whatever it is, the stretchy leatherette material) on the doors apparently came loose and someone failed at fixing it so now there's just this incline where the rests are supposed to be.
Also...I think this is a big deal but you can drive with the parking break engaged. ^^;; no fun and that makes me nervous.

Other than that the exterior of the car is in FANTASTIC shape, barely any damage except along the back bumper and few minor dings here and there. My other car had more dings than this one. The interior is clean but needs new mats. The old ones are yellow and I have thus deemed irreparable. :/. I took it for a long drive and cleaned her/him really good. Got some bonding time in. I'd be really upset if this car ends up being a lemon. I love it so much already. :/ It needs to be named. Also, pics are before bath. The paint looks like you could DIVE in now. Please tell me this issues are normal and I'm not going into something horrid. Also, Do I need to replace the timing belt at 60,000 or 90,000. Dealer said ninety. I saw sixty.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
The automatic transmission - that will be an expensive repair. The early NB autos, are junk.

The windows need new regulators. An easy-peasey fix, but don't let them gouge you.

I think the parking brake cable can be tightened. Hopefully it's not something worse.

There will be others chiming in, and I am moving this to the Problems and Issues forum, for better traffic. Good luck!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
A valet key will not have a remote, its just a key, so you got lucky with a secondary master key. Have you replaced the battery in the non-functioning remote? Also, on the functioning one, are you holding the trunk button for a few seconds? I thought my trunk button didn't work for about 2 years, then I read on here you have to hold it, not just push it once, and bam it worked!

As for the timing belt, 60k-80k is pretty standard replacement BUT you have 12 years on a piece of plastic. Age is more of a factor in this situation so I would think about getting it done soon. The Bentley Service manual recommends replacement every 60k or 4 years. I think 4 years is a bit early, but I wouldn't go much over 6 or so myself.

What engine is in the car?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Geez, now I feel that my '99 which I bought almost 1 1/2 years ago is a show car. No offense. I hope it didn't cost you all of your allowance. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geez, now I feel that my '99 which I bought almost 1 1/2 years ago is a show car. No offense. I hope it didn't cost you all of your allowance. :(
Yeah I just had to work everyday for three years straight on third shift... you know, nothing major. :mad: I didn't really think it was that bad :/.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A valet key will not have a remote, its just a key, so you got lucky with a secondary master key. Have you replaced the battery in the non-functioning remote? Also, on the functioning one, are you holding the trunk button for a few seconds? I thought my trunk button didn't work for about 2 years, then I read on here you have to hold it, not just push it once, and bam it worked!

As for the timing belt, 60k-80k is pretty standard replacement BUT you have 12 years on a piece of plastic. Age is more of a factor in this situation so I would think about getting it done soon. The Bentley Service manual recommends replacement every 60k or 4 years. I think 4 years is a bit early, but I wouldn't go much over 6 or so myself.

What engine is in the car?
2.0L I-4 cyl

--edit
The key's battery was supposed to be replaced before I picked up the car. I'll make him do it this time.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Well, you certainly have a laundry list of problems.

First of all, none of it really matters if you can't get the transmission fixed. The car is extremely low miles for it's age. I'm surprised the transmission is having such issues.

First thing i would do is find someone with a vag-com and have then check out all the systems DTC's, not just the check engine light, especially the transmission's computer.

With that taken care of, everything else is minor, window switches, trunk switch, a slight trunk hinge adjustment to get it to pop open more when it's released, maybe some new tie rods and/or control arm bushings for the steering play, a new radio, etc... it all adds up, but without fixing the transmission first everything else will be money wasted when the transmission dies.

If there is nothing that can be done with the transmission in your car, maybe you can consider swapping over to a manual transmission than an automatic. The vw 4-speed automatics, as said above, are notoriously fragile, and just get worse with age.

Oh yeah... hold down the trunk button on your key for 3-5 seconds. If the buttons work to unlock the doors, the trunk button should work, but it has that delay built in.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,142 Posts
Mine too! I have had Ernie for 3 years this fall, and he has been darn near perfect. Did you say you had a warranty on it? I'm curious how you were able to get a warranty on a 12 year old buggy? Anyway, Good luck!!! Looks like your blue bundle needs a lot of TLC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts