NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a '99 nb a couple of months ago. The monsoon had been replaced with a Jensen CD player. Visually it looks okay, but I think the stupid thing is possessed with an evil spirit :(

Driving home from the dealership I found that the stereo was gradually turning its own volume down. Annoying, yes, but no really big deal. The problem is when it decides to turn itself UP. This only happens once every few weeks or so, but when it does it'll make you want to yank the unit from the dash and chunk it out the window. The unit will turn itself on, and the volume will crank up to full blast. If you try to turn it down it just goes back up; if you turn it off it just turns itself back on. Radio will go to CD mode, or vice versa. There's no way to control it at all and I'm afraid one of us will have a wreck trying to turn it down/off when it comes on and scares us poopless. I know it sounds stupid, but it really is *dangerous* when it happens- it's the craziest thing I've ever seen. This happened on our way home from church on Sunday, but it's been okay ever since then.

We asked about putting a VW unit back in it and the guy at the VW house said we'd be "insane" to put a VW unit in when we could get aftermarket from a sound place for 1/3 the cost. I am not sure if the problem lies with the head unit itself, or with the wiring. I was thinking that if VW put one in for me, they could be responsible for the wiring. We've gotta have a stereo in there, but we're not into big espensive units or whatever. Basic will work fine. And I don't think we can DIY, as my husband is not that mechanical and I don't want him tearing up the dash trying to get something in/out. We did install a stereo in our '73 bug but I was less fussy about the cosmetics in that one, lol.

Any advice? I'd be glad to go to Circuit City or Best Buy or whatever and have a new head unit installed, if I knew that was the answer. I just don't want to have a new one put in just to have the same demon problems, if it is a wiring problem. Thanks, and sorry I'm so clueless on this...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
:cool: That sounds like a new deck and get Best Buy or Circuit City to install which should includ4e a warranty. They should check the wiring no problem . I had a Sony CD that did the same thing --- It was a trip ! Good luck and good tunes !
Len :band:

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Len, I think you're right. We had Speedy at the VW house for work on Friday and they said they're positive it's the Jensen unit.

Saw Best Buy advertising free install on a $100 purchase... certainly worth it to 'exorcise' my bug! ;) I just have to find one with nice blue display to match my dash display... :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts