NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I leave the sunroof in the tilt position, upon restarting the car, it will show the spoiler light on the dash. But if I close the sunroof the spoiler light will go out...tilt it back up and the light will stay off till I restart the car.
:eyecrazy:At least I don't hear dead people:eek:hnoes:.....[just a little Halloween humor]

So, any ideas? I am guessing a micro switch, but really don't have a clue.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
There is a "connection" between the spoiler and the sunroof. I believe that if the sunroof is in the up-tilt position, the spoiler will go down.

Scan your NB for spoiler codes.

Seeing dead people makes "living" interesting ... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. Sometimes (majority of the time, really) my spoiler light will be on and I wont be able to open/close my sunroof but the spoiler itself function properly without problems. You guys mention that the two are connected and I figured as much but it baffles me how one can work consistently all the time (spoiler) and the sunroof is sparingly working. You guys have any idea as to what might be the problem? :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. Sometimes (majority of the time, really) my spoiler light will be on and I wont be able to open/close my sunroof but the spoiler itself function properly without problems. You guys mention that the two are connected and I figured as much but it baffles me how one can work consistently all the time (spoiler) and the sunroof is sparingly working. You guys have any idea as to what might be the problem? :eek:
If the spoiler is raised manually, the indicator light will flash until the vehicle reaches 12 mph, then go out, if the light is on solid at any time there is a problem within the electrical system of the spoiler (I'm going to have to check the operation specifics of the later model year you have as they changed after '01 ). I did, they are the same. This would include a signal being sent to the sunroof. I'll have to review the Bentley wiring diagram to try and determine if it is a control module, but being as it is speed related, I'm going to guess it is. It would appear the speed control comes from the ABS Control Module.

For Model Year '03, beginning with production Dec '02 -

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
If the spoiler is raised manually, the indicator light will flash until the vehicle reaches 12 mph, then go out, if the light is on solid at any time there is a problem within the elctrical system of the spoiler (I'm going to have to check the operation specifics of the later model year you have as they changed after '01 ). I did, they are the same. This would include a signal being sent to the sunroof. I'll have to review the Bentley wiring diagram to try and determine if it is a control module, but being as it is speed related, I'm going to guess it is. Stay tuned...
I never raise the spoiler manually and the switch does trigger the lift and close, however, the light is solid, non-flashing, about 85-90% of the time. Occasionally I'll get the light completely OFF and I'll be able to open, close, tilt, etc. my sunroof. No matter if I'm driving the vehicle at said speeds or not. Thanks for your help! It is appreciated. :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I never raise the spoiler manually and the switch does trigger the lift and close, however, the light is solid, non-flashing, about 85-90% of the time. Occasionally I'll get the light completely OFF and I'll be able to open, close, tilt, etc. my sunroof. No matter if I'm driving the vehicle at said speeds or not. Thanks for your help! It is appreciated. :D
Then there is a malfunction in the electrical system, in one of the control modules, a wiring issue between the two should not result in a bad signal being sent or being misinterpreted. Now, back to the OPer model year and issue.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
When I leave the sunroof in the tilt position, upon restarting the car, it will show the spoiler light on the dash. But if I close the sunroof the spoiler light will go out...tilt it back up and the light will stay off till I restart the car.
:eyecrazy:At least I don't hear dead people:eek:hnoes:.....[just a little Halloween humor]

So, any ideas? I am guessing a micro switch, but really don't have a clue.
Ditto what was said in my post above, one of the modules, but I don't know enough about the modules to know if there are any microswitches involved, as they are not Dealer servicable items, no information is shown, going to have to rely on someone who has had issues and had them apart. Anything else would be purely a guess.

M.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump.....to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts