NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in 1st and 2nd gears, it seems to have pretty peppy pickup. I'm a newbie and have just had my '99 5 spd. since Sept. 6th, but have been pleasantly surprised by the way VW has "geared it" for good performance for a relatively small, non-blown 4 banger. Mind you, it's no drag racer, but yet seems to have more than adequate acceleration for most traffic demands. If I'm this impressed by the 2.0 with only 115 h.p., I can only imagine how "torquie" the new 2.5 is with it's 150 h.p. and 170 ft. lbs....:D

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I was surprised also by the acceleration. I also have only had mine a short time. I wasn't sure what to expect not having driven a NB before owning it. And I certainly like the mpg coming out of a SUV. :D

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Drop about 2oz of Acetone into a full tank -- it gets even peppier. (Look for my reports in the Acetone thread for more details)

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I have a 2.0 automatic. I only have trouble on hills with pickup. Any other time i'm first off the line. If you take out your spare tire and all that weight in the back yer even quicker. But leave your carpet in the back or it's kinda noisy.

john

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I 100% disagree with you on the spare tire doing anything ;)

It's all in your head, as 40-50lbs of rim and tire isn't going to make any difference.

I did find removing the tire did have a negative effect on handling, and the rear-end felt lighter which makes the car feel less stable.

I'd say leave the tire in, and you'll thank yourself next time you get a flat :p

SMG

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
SMG said:

It's all in your head, as 40-50lbs of rim and tire isn't going to make any difference.

I did find removing the tire did have a negative effect on handling, and the rear-end felt lighter which makes the car feel less stable.

I'd say leave the tire in, and you'll thank yourself next time you get a flat :p

SMG
I agree with SMG here.. between my wife and I, we've lost 280 lbs in the last year and our car is still a slug ;)

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
Porkchop said:
I agree with SMG here.. between my wife and I, we've lost 280 lbs in the last year and our car is still a slug ;)
WOW..Dont mean to hijack the thread but that's awesome!! Congrats to both of you for losing all that weight!! :goodjob:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
SMG said:

SMG
I was totally just kidding. It felt different driving it. I had gotten my interior soaking wet by mistake and had removed the trunk carpeting and tire and all excess interior parts to dry it out properly. There was alot more interior noise and it felt as if i was going to roll off the road with the combo of noise and echo. It wasn't pleasant, but i could hear the road alot more and it sounded faster?? Heh.

Beetles are quick! Yay!

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
my 2.0 motor is as fast as i want, i drove some turbo ones, and i do like thet theyre faster, but i've got a decent sized lead foot, so i can do without some of the speeding tickets that a turbo would give me. :D

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
the 2.0 engine is an amazing engine in that it may be slow for the size of the engine, but it adopts the ideas of older mercedes and rolls royce. large engine, but slower capabilities give the engine a longer life. it's made out of solid cast iron for strength, so the car can be fully throttled and redlined and will never use its full capacity.

i love my car and i love my engine choice. i would never have it any other way.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Yup..peppy it is, at first. Get it on the highway at 75 the first time and you think the motor is going to blow...it screams! After about a month of owning mine (5 years now) I decided to make it peppier and save fuel at the same time...so of course the normal mods came about....Took out the restrictive factory airbox and snorkel and in went a K&N cone filter, replaced the factory plugs and wires, and put on a Stainless Steel Catback exhaust, and lowered it 1.5 " with Eibach pro kit springs & Shocks...went with Conti Extreme contact tires (lower profile) on Konig rims, and in went a front and rear sway bar.....now I'm just waiting on the GIAC god to grant me serenity (someday when the price is right)

Conclusion? you now take out on the highway and it Reaalllllly screams at 75mph...but it also takes less time to get it up there, and you have fun doing it too...:D

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

I Also think my 2.0 auto is very quick, and is very smooth when shifting. This is for sure my favorite car i have ever had.

John K.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I love my 2.0 auto, it's got enough pep for right now, I'm thinking about autocrossing with it. Don't know how an auto will fare though. I'm thinking about putting in some new front/rear swaybars and new springs/shocks too.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
None of our three NBs have been the 2.0. My MIL is the first to get the "bug", and hers was a 2.0 automatic. This is the car that made me say out loud, by myself, in her new 2002 2.0, "Oh My God! I want one of these soo bad". I had mine (the 2002 Turbo S)less than one month later. I think the 2.0 is a good engine, but someone said "Don't drive a 1.8t", and they are right. After my 1.8t, no 2.0 for me. Not a bad motor, don't get me wrong. If I could have her NB, I would drive it, but it would feel powerless to me. But, I would still love it just as much. Hey, it's a New Beetle! :)

It's a sad story, though. My mother-in-law is now in an alzheimers patient home. Her daughter (my sister-in-law) now has the 2.0. She doesn't love it the way she should, and it's sad to see it.

Here is my Mother-in-law, in better days.:( This is the car that made get mine...... (mine in background)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
yeah...

i take everything back i ever said about the 2.0.

it's a large 2.0 liter 8 valve engine that's slow as piss and sux up gas. talk about old technology!!! maybe good for back in the day, but not anymore!

the only thing it's got going for it is longevity and the ability to build up the power since it only uses something like 75% of its engine capacity at full throttle.

i still wouldn't take a 1.8T over it though.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
mentalVdub said:
yeah...

it's a large 2.0 liter 8 valve engine that's slow as piss and sux up gas. talk about old technology!!! maybe good for back in the day, but not anymore!

the only thing it's got going for it is longevity and the ability to build up the power since it only uses something like 75% of its engine capacity at full throttle.

What about the supercharger kits for the 2.0s? Expensive as all heck, but i would love to feel the difference of it on the road. Maybe next year for me.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
mentalVdub said:
yeah...

I couldn't afforrd the insurance for a 1.8T (only 18), so I bought a 2.0 and I'm happy with it.

End of story.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
FineExampl said:
What about the supercharger kits for the 2.0s? Expensive as all heck, but i would love to feel the difference of it on the road. Maybe next year for me.
i guess i find it a waste of money, but the neuspeed supercharger is supposedly ok.

dare i say it, i'm getting sick of volkswagen.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts