NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure our 2001 GLX (AWV) is losing oil through the turbo bearing seal. I thought it might be rings but I removed the TB inlet hose and found the inside coated with oil. The oil consumption is increasing rapidly so I guess the turbo will go out soon. Is there any danger of collateral damage by running the engine with this issue? Any advice on where to buy a replacement? I don't think I want to mess with any upgrades unless it is strictly bolt-on. I believe this engine has the 03s turbo, correct?
Thanks,
b

·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses.
The turbo on that link is for an APH engine. In mid-2001 VW changed to the AWV engine in the New Beetle, which takes the K03S turbo and is the engine I have. Here is the best supplier I have found so far:
2001*Volkswagen from TurboChargerPros
There used to be very little oil in the inlet hose and oil consumption has gone way up. The engine is also using coolant, which is probably also going through the turbo.
I am trying to decide whether to let is slide and wait for total failure or jump in and change it out. Does anyone have a how-to on this turbo replacement?
Thanks for you help.
b

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
You have a leak if you are using coolant. It should not be being "used" or going into the turbo. You could also potentially have a bad head gasket if you have issues with both. I'd try to track down where that coolant is going.

·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No coolant is leaking to ground, can't smell anything, and the head gasket is not blown or I would see water/coolant in the oil. Mind you, the coolant loss is not excessive and may be normal. The smoke is not excessive, either. The engine runs well - I'm just guessing here. Probably no big deal.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
You shouldn't be losing coolant unless there is a leak. I don't think there is any path for coolant to get to the turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts