NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: I recently acquired my girlfriend's 2000 NB 2.0. I've seen some of the Baja bug builds here and I'm really interested in that since I live in the snow belt of Indiana. I drive 45 miles to work on way, and while I do have a 4x4 GMC, and the girlfriend drives my AWD Dodge Journey, the bug is nice because i can get some extra mpg out of it. It's not as capable as I would like, but hey, it's cheaper then a new car.
:confused: I would like to know of some things I could do that could either improve performance, mpg, or possible both. It's getting the max gas mileage now, and runs like it's basically brand new. I don't really need more power out of it, but I wouldn't turn it down either.
:cool: I've never really messed with anything that wasn't a GM product, but there is something about the beetle that just makes me want to build it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
There really isn't much you can do to gain major performance in a 2.0 NA engine. The 1.8Turbo is another story. With a simple Tune you can increase the 150hp to 200HP and 239lbs of torque which is significant. Depending on the mileage on it I would just keep it running well and do the regular needed maintenance on it. Speaking of which. How many miles are on the car and when is the last time the timing belt service was performed. This is the major killer of Beetle's. Your timing belt, accessory belt, Water pump, Pulley, Tensioner, thermostat and cam seals if needed should be replaced around 75K miles. If this service hasn't been performed than I would get it done ASAP or your precious beetle may turn into a doorstop in an instant.
Also do you have the manual transmission or the problematic Automatic? If you do have the automatic I would also have the fluid changed soon. It's a lifetime fill but a lot of people's transmissions have failed due to bad valve bodies. And the fluid in there when they do change it is pretty dark. So I would get that done as well if it is an Automatic.
The manual transmission is easier to mess with and you can swap the tranny fluid yourself in about 30 minutes. Not a bad idea. I would use the recommended VW Synthetic fluid in it.
I have swapped mine to Penzoil Synchromesh which actually seems to be working very well in the manual transmission.

Good Luck with your Beetle fellow hoosier. Keep us posted on your mods and have fun with your beetle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed the transmission fluid. It's an Automatic. It has 114,000 miles on it, and my girlfriend was very careful and always did everything the mechanic, her father, or the owner's manual told her to do. I'll have to ask and see if she had the belt changed though. I have some money coming from a light fender bender that i was planing on a set of tires, but maybe i'll just go ahead and do that belt.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
IndyTom pretty much hit all the important points- He's a good ol bloke:). So I guess I'll second his motion and just give you a big welcome to the org. A wealth of good info here. Keep that buggy running and maybe we'll see ya down the road... maybe at T.O.D.:rolleyes:

Welcome aboard:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The timing belt and water pump are not service items in the Owner's manual Maintenance Schedule. So, unless someone was involved in the servicing, in the know, about this, there is a good chance it hasn't been done if all was based on the published schedule, although the checking of the belt IS there, and there are ways to mechanically test the belt for wear, in addition to visual condition.

Understand, this is not like our never give it a thought timing chain GMs, it's an effing belt, with teeth - the belts jump teeth and they break, it's an interference engine - either happens, valves get bent, pistons get damaged. And if it hasn't been done, you're driving on barrowed time.

MORAV

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have changed the transmission fluid. It's an Automatic. It has 114,000 miles on it, and my girlfriend was very careful and always did everything the mechanic, her father, or the owner's manual told her to do. I'll have to ask and see if she had the belt changed though. I have some money coming from a light fender bender that i was planing on a set of tires, but maybe i'll just go ahead and do that belt.
Since you have a 2.0 the timing belt kit is cheaper than for the 1.8 and I heard also easier to do. Here is a complete kit including everything you need to do the timing belt service.
Vw Beetle Timing Belt - Vw Beetle Timing Belt Kit
$134 and change will be cheap insurance compared to a head job or engine rebuild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank you very much guys, I'll definitely check into that. I'm working a lot of overtime right now, including today and tomorrow, so I think I'll have my local independent shop do it for me.
Also, my garage is full right now with my 76 impala, 72 gmc truck, and 1994 Road King. Not much room in there for any thing else right now since the bike is the only thing that runs. And I'm done with working on cars in the cold. I work outside everyday, so the less time in the cold, the better.
It's dependable and paid for, i want to make sure to do it that way.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Thank you very much guys, I'll definitely check into that. I'm working a lot of overtime right now, including today and tomorrow, so I think I'll have my local independent shop do it for me.
Also, my garage is full right now with my 76 impala, 72 gmc truck, and 1994 Road King. Not much room in there for any thing else right now since the bike is the only thing that runs. And I'm done with working on cars in the cold. I work outside everyday, so the less time in the cold, the better.
It's dependable and paid for, i want to make sure to do it that way.
Sounds like a good shop. However, our VW's are particular little gems. If there's a shop that specializes in VW repair, i'd look into them. Now "specialized" does not necessarily mean expensive; I'd look around and peruse the online community for recommendations as well. Then again, your repair shop might be the VW bombay in repairs, making my suggestion mute:lol:

All the best either way:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts