NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Das Countdown en heimer

Ok Explorers,

We are now down to 331 days and counting!

This is one of those events that seems so far away and distant, then sneaks up on you and is tomorrow!

Make your plans now. Start doing little things now that you will kick yourself for forgetting later. Quality FRS radios. Radar detector, maybe a CB radio, updated GPS system, Pennies in in the Gatoraide bottle. Pack a couple bottles for water for the hot days!

Time Flies! (You can't they are too fast)

It will be here before you know it!

So stoked about going back to Roswell!

Remember, "IT'S A DRY HEAT!"

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We have the schedule set as much of it as can be done this far out. We have all sorts of surprises between now and then working as well. This will be an epic voyage. Will type more when I am not on the iPad.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
IBT2015 Countdown Continues....

291 days until we leave Florida. 293 days until we leave Chicago on Rt66 and 299 days until Return to Roswell.

Time is flying by. Need to start looking at vacation time for next year. We are getting excited with the trip getting closer by the minute!.

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A little Bump Action.

It is now 223 days until IBT 2015.

Time is flying by and it's time to start firming up our plans.

Friday 19 June we will be leaving Chicago at the start of Rt.66. We were thinking of meeting at the historic Lou Mitchell's restaurant for breakfast. They open at 0530 in the morning. If we met then we could pretty much assure we would find a parking place. This way we could watch and cheer as all the Beetles arrive. Once we are there we can get the traditional start of the trip breakfast, go outside and get a starting photograph in our matching embroidered IBT polo shirts and then head off.

From then on we will decide, over the radios, which tourist traps we want to stop at and where to eat and spend the night. We would like to try and stay at Mom & Pop motels rather than big chains. I want to find some haunted ones as well.

We will have 7 days to get to Roswell so a couple hundred miles a day should work well.

Start filling the change jar and squiring away money as we have no idea what gas prices will be that far in the future.

We were thinking on leaving Roswell Sunday after the banquet to get us back on the mother road quickly. This too will be a group decision. From there it's on to California with a possible day layover in Williams to take the train to the Grand Canyon for a day side trip.

More to come! Ideas welcomed, suggestions solicited! Anything you can think of to make the trip better.

We will also revel more about the impending book in future posts!

Chuckie and the IBT Crew.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Wow that's a insanely long journey, not that there is anything wrong with that. Be sure to enjoy those 80 MPH speed limits on I-10 in West Texas.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Chuck, I am so looking forward to this! What's this about embroidered t-shirts? Do you have a design already? How do I get one?

Thanks,
Carolyn

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got to make big/tall sizes in those tee shirts. Are you going to have some kind of registration form, cause if you do, I need one. Thanks, Chuckie.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Shirts and more info

Hi Folks,

We are looking at having The IBT Logo (already designed, thanks) embroidered onto some nice polo shirts for those who participate in the IBT. They will be sold at cost and I promise they will be nice. If you aren't going on the IBT you won't be able to order one. We will also have 4" oval stickers on magnetic backing to identify our Beetles as we run down the mother road. Think of the black and white oval European country stickers for an idea of what they will look like.

We will probably send out the registration form and other paperwork after the first of the year. We are having a general liability release drafted as well. (can't afford to get sued if someone drives off a cliff or gets hit by a train)

As Insane Beetle Productions gets off the ground there will be other items for sale with our logo shamelessly plastered on them. It is just that IBT Excursion Shirts, hats and other specific event swag will be exclusive to the event participants.

Lots to plan, a thousand ideas to explore. Actually for me the trip will be the easy part! Writing and publishing the book is going to be the crazy project!

Chuckie

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Chuck,
Love your ideas for swag!

Going back over the posts, I was wondering about the train out to the Grand Canyon. Would reservations be required? With the casual schedule we will be on, it might be difficult to know which day we would arrive in Williams. It could be the day after we leave Roswell, or two days later. I'm just assuming that since it will be close to the July 4 holiday, it will be very busy and we may not be able to get on the train.
As you know, it takes about an hour or so to drive from Williams to GC. That might be an option.
Just wonderin'.
BTW, there is a free Route 66 Museum in Victorville, in CA. One of many I'm sure.
Carolyn

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
In regard to IBT and/or Insane Beetle Productions, is there still any interest in a water-cooled Beetle magazine? Don't know if you saw it, but over on the Collective, there was a thread about Hot VWs featuring a New Beetle for a change. But....the catch was that someone stuck an air-cooled engine into it, and I suspect that's the only reason they bothered to have a story on it as they are air-cooled elitists.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
More info

Hi Carolyn,

Once we start to get closer to the actual take off date for the trip we will have a better handle on who want's to stop in Williams and select the train option.

Seeing how it is the week before the 4th of July, the Train is really the best option to visit the canyon. There are THOUSANDS of cars that try and get into the park that week. I have seen 4-6 hour waits on the road from Williams during the holidays. I used to work on the train and went to the canyon every day for a year. I am pretty sure there will be space if we get a hold of them with enough warning. Since Williams is so close to Roswell we should be able to plan where we get there early in the morning, jump the train and spend the day at the canyon, get back that evening before 6:00, eat in town and do the tourist thing. We then can camp out in Williams for the night and get a fresh start the next morning. I was thinking maybe Wednesday.

The Grand Canyon Railway's website is thetrain.com.

Pat,

I posted on the org a location for people to express their opinions about us using IBP as a launching pad for a magazine. I have a Graphic artist (who I am paying for out of my own pocket) website locations (again, paid for by me) editorial people and two contacts in the magazine publishing world all set to move when and if the time is right. With all of two responses to the org site and quite frankly the childish nonsense on the collective recently, I think IBP will stick with doing road trips, local get togethers and a web presence for a while. The book project is coming along nicely as well.

It seems that when ever there is an idea to do something in the NB world, everyone is all for it at the start. When there is work or money involved the list of interested parties drops considerably. Look at some of the GTGs. I don't know if you remember Dreher Island or not, a couple dozen folks were going to go and 6-8 showed up. Same at TOD. A few do all the work and everyone has a great time and leaves. I wish this group of enthusiasts would adopt the "Burning Man" model of there are no spectators, everyone contributes. No one is playing the game. Everyone just sits in the stands and expects someone to bring them a hot dog. If the folks in this community realized what Al goes through to set up and Run TOD, or Antoine with R2R, maybe they would get some help and be able to enjoy the events they organized.

Sorry for the pontification. Won't happen again. Suffice it to say with all of two responses to the magazine inquiry, that portion of the IBP business model is on hold for a while.

Anyway, we are now 221 days out to IBT 2015!

The excitement is building! At least here anyway!

Chuckie

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Chuck,
I had no idea about how crowded the canyon gets that time of year. The only time I went, it was the end of September last year, I just drove right in. 4-6 hours, that's awful! So I'm excited about the train.
Just thinking about stuff, can't wait!
Carolyn

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Chuck: I understand where you're coming from in regard to the magazine idea. When I first saw that proposal, I was as excited as a kid in a candy store, but you do need a lot more than two people to share that kind of commitment. Over the years, I've found that this is the way of clubs as well: There'll be about 3-4 people that do all the work while the other 40-50 show up once a year for the show and merely salivate in anticipation of getting a trophy. :rolleyes:

At any rate, this has inspired me to model myself after Al and Antione in regard to TSD (or any other GTG I may come up with...) As a freelance writer and author of two novels, I've also pondered the idea of writing a book about water-cooled Beetles, but before ever undertaking a task of that magnitude, I too would want to be damn sure I had an audience. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of books about air-cooled Bugs, but all the NB books came out back in the late 90s and nothing new has been printed despite the fact that Beetles in dealership showrooms have had front engines and radiators for 17 years now.............

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
It seems that when ever there is an idea to do something in the NB world, everyone is all for it at the start. When there is work or money involved the list of interested parties drops considerably. Look at some of the GTGs. I don't know if you remember Dreher Island or not, a couple dozen folks were going to go and 6-8 showed up. Same at TOD. A few do all the work and everyone has a great time and leaves. I wish this group of enthusiasts would adopt the "Burning Man" model of there are no spectators, everyone contributes. No one is playing the game. Everyone just sits in the stands and expects someone to bring them a hot dog. If the folks in this community realized what Al goes through to set up and Run TOD, or Antoine with R2R, maybe they would get some help and be able to enjoy the events they organized.
I totally agree Chuck! I willing to do what I can up here. I enjoy being part of planning things, and the such! I am super excited to see this come together, and cant wait to join ya!

·
Registered
67 Posts
What do you need from me, Chuckie? If you need an entry/registration fee, I'd be willing. I'm going to participate from Roswell to Santa Monica and have the time to help. Just let me know. Love the polo shirt idea and magnetic sticker.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Getting closer

When we get a little closer I will start getting sizes and collecting dinero from those that are going and want shirts, and stickers. I am also collecting road maps to give out as well.

We are now 217 days from departure in Chicago. It's time to start reading the Rt.66 guide books and making a preliminary list of spots you would like to see and possible places to stop for the nights on the road. Once everyone has an idea what they want to experience we can discuss each POD (Plan of the Day) the night before at the motels or at lunch as we go.

Radios and batteries are on my list of things to test and acquire.

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Tick, Tick, Tick, Tock

That would be the clock ticking down to when we meet in Chicago!

It is now December 1st and 200 days until we meet for breakfast and then depart to Roswell from Chicago.

Time for a finance check as well as getting with employers to make sure you can get the time off.

If you are meeting us in Chicago on June 19th you will need at least 2 weeks off to complete the trip all the way to Santa Monica. This does not include anytime it takes to get to Chicago or home from California. So it is a big commitment, one that needs to be planned now!

Let me know if have any questions or need anymore information. We are looking forward to this trip of a lifetime and hope everyone is still able to go!

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
They say, Time is the fire in which we all burn...

What? Where the hell did the Star Trek quote come from?

The reason I posted it is because it's more true than you think. Today is exactly six months until the Florida contingent leaves for Chicago on the first leg of the IBT. Six months from Friday we meet at Lou Mitchell's diner in Chicago to begin our long and exciting Rt. 66 quest. We plan on arriving in Roswell on the 26th of June in time for the 'Return to Roswell New Beetle Show"

If you are in the NE, upper Central-Midwest or Eastern Canada areas and want to join us for this epic and insane voyage, please feel free to jump in anywhere along the route. If you are so inclined and can swing the time and finances why not join us for the entire trip?

We plan to stop at numerous little diners and historic sites as well as stay in as many rundown, antique fleabag motels as we can find along the way. We are even going to be writing a travel guide during and about the trip!

A word of advise/caution.... As this is going to be one hell of an undertaking it would be a good idea to start planning as soon as possible. This trip is going to require a lot of days off from work or school and a pretty heavy fiscal commitment. You should start planning now. It will be a trip of a lifetime.

Some folks are joining us in Roswell for the second half of the journey to California. It might be an idea to do just the first half form Chicago to Roswell if time is a constraint for you. You could always do the second half in the future sometime.

Either way, it's 184 days from today when we leave Chicago!

Questions? Leave em here or message Chuckie or Dave.

That is all.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Countdown clock continues

179 days until we meet at Lou Mitchel's in Chicago at 6:00am

185 Days until we roll into Roswell!

What an amazing road trip this is going to be.

Chuckie

21 - 40 of 87 Posts