NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sticker

We are now 174 days from Lou Mitchel's in Chicago.

Here is the sticker that each car will be issued to wear on the trip. They will be Magnetic so they won't mess up anyone's paint work. Not sure how big to make them. Looking at 8x10 for putting on the car door or 4x5 to put on the trunk.

Looking for opinions. Once we decide I can see what my sticker guys can do for us!

Chuckie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
We are now 174 days from Lou Mitchel's in Chicago.

Here is the sticker that each car will be issued to wear on the trip. They will be Magnetic so they won't mess up anyone's paint work. Not sure how big to make them. Looking at 8x10 for putting on the car door or 4x5 to put on the trunk.

Looking for opinions. Once we decide I can see what my sticker guys can do for us!

Chuckie
Very cool! At this point, I'm still trying to figure out how I can run at least part of the way with you guys, like maybe from Joplin or OKC.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Would be fun!

Love to have ya join in, wherever you can meet us.

This is sort of the Central Carabugvan to Roswell for folks with a little more time on their hands. So far it looks like 3 Florida cars and a NC/VA ride as well. We don't care what you drive or where you are coming from. We meet, we drive, we have fun.

Who knows how many we will eventually pick up. Would be a blast rolling in with a big group.

Chuckie

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Ahem.............
We are not affiliated with or have anything to do with Roswell2k. Things like this need to be posted as their own post in this section. If you would like a faster response, please PM marvins_dad. I believe he is the one in charge of the R2R Twitter feed, if not he will know who is!

This post is for IBT2015-Route 66! We post here to get participation from those who will be participating in Roswell2k, and want to have some extra fun!

One post is all that is needed. I am sure we all saw it, and chose not to reply as it doesnt pertain to us!

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I reported him

Matty,

I reported him. This is the same guy from overseas that has been stalking the TOD and where are they now threads and generally being a pest.

Hopefully the moderators will take my suggestion and ban him from our thread.

Meanwhile, we are now 170 days until we meet for breakfast ay Lou Mitchel's in Chicago. Hopefully we will hear from more of the central US and south central Roswell goers to join our mighty armada!

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Tick Tick Tick

That's the clock ticking down the days until we meet at Lou Mitchel's for breakfast. It's now down to 144 days. Stickers are being printed, shirt designs are being finalized, and routes and meeting spots are being settled upon.

Soon we will post the list of participants and more details of our expedition.

We would love to see you there!

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Time Flies.....

You can't. They are too fast!

We are now 128 days from meeting at Lou Mitchell's in Chicago. Ray is a Chicago native and is planning on being there when we arrive. He is looking into close cheap lodging for us and possibly getting us good parking spots outside the restaurant that Friday morning.

The magnetic and small window stickers are going to the printer this week. The polo shirts will be available soon. I will have price and availability hopefully next week.

Remember to bring FRS radio, extra batteries, extra memory cards for the cameras. small tape recorder for audio log book (mine is a digital Dictaphone that records 24 hours of voice messages). This way you can remember things you saw and catalog your photographs while driving and not stopping to write things down in a log book!

This adventure is almost upon us!

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This would be cool

The Great Race 2015 from Kirkwood MO. to Santa Monica CA. starts on June 20 and runs until June 28. RIGHT DOWN RT.66!

They start a day later than us and probably won't be stopping at all the tourist traps like we will, but, We may get to see some of the cars on the way.

This would be a very cool thing.

The Great Race » 2015 – Cities

More reasons to join us in 110 days on the Insane Beetle Tour!

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Zonkers! The trip is almost here!

We are down to 78 days before we leave Lou Mitchell's in Chicago. Wifey and I are so excited! It can't get here soon enough. As we are looking at the route, it would be very helpful if we knew where everyone was going to join us on the journey. I know Vern, Dave and Luann, and Ray will be meeting at the first rest stop across the Georgia line early Wednesday morning. We will pick up Tabitha and Ollie somewhere around Indianapolis the next day me thinks. Anyone else jumping on board along the way is free to do so. The more the crazier! it's never to late to jump on board.

We are also going to try and meet the Arizona and New Mexico Carabugvans on Friday at noon(?) in Vaughn NM for lunch. From there it will be a hoot to roll into Roswell as one big Caravan!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a Chicago resident and plan on meeting the group for breakfast at Lou Mitchell's on Jackson. Street parking in downtown Chicago is very restrictive. Jackson has no parking on the south side of street and the north side of Jackson is a no parking after 7am. No street parking on Jefferson on Thursday and Friday. There is a small self park surface lot on Jefferson. The rate is over $10.00. Parking garages and lots fill up quickly on work days and are not cheap.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yikes!

That sounds pretty rough! What are your suggestions for where we can park our five cars coming from Fl and VA? We were hoping to get into Lou Mitchell's at 0530 when they open. No sure when we would be departing yet. $10.00 to park doesn't really scare us as we are doing a 6,000 mile trip. As long as our cars are secure and reasonably close we are golden.

What's a parking ticket in Chicago cost anyway? If it's not to expensive it might make a cool souvenir!

Just Kidding.

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Copied from the IBT facebook group

I have been playing around with the tentative schedule for the Chicago to Roswell run. If we do approx. 200 miles a day our stops would be:

Springfield IL Friday night
Rolla MO Saturday night
Joplin MO Sunday night
Stroud OK Monday Night
Shamrock TX Tuesday night
Tucumcari NM Wednesday night
Roswell NM Thursday night

This puts us into Roswell a day early (Thursday) with 5 cars going and everyone having different tastes in tourist traps I am sure the extra day will be absorbed somewhere, somehow. This is why we have to "wing it" as far as each nights hotel reservations. Vern has the latest hotel/motel guide for Rt.66 so each night when we stop we can guesstimate the next nights lodging. We will try to be in Vaughn NM at noon on Friday to meet up with the New Mexico and California groups for lunch and then caravan together into Roswell.

Chuckie

·
Registered
560 Posts
What are your plans after Roswll??

I am part of the California group, what is your itinery after Roswell to make your way to the West coast??????

Thanks,

Mike:)

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The 2nd half

Here are the estimated stops and milage for the Roswell to Santa Monica Pier section of the IBT. We will leave Roswell Sunday after the R2R banquet and head up to Santa Rosa NM. From there we will either head to Santa Fe or take the Albuquerque alignment of Rt.66. We haven't decided yet which way to go. The route guesses I have made are for the southern route.

We have to be in Williams AZ on July 2nd at 8:00 am for our train trip to the Grand Canyon. We spend the night in Williams and then head out again Friday morning for California.

Roswell NM 0 0
Albuquerque NM 260 260 Sunday night
Gallup NM 167 427 Monday night
Holbrook AZ 101 528 Tuesday night
Flagstaff AZ 95 623 Wednesday night
Williams AZ 40 663 Thursday night
Needles CA 201 864 Friday night
Santa Monica Pier Ca 273 1137 Saturday night (July 4th)

There is so much to see that our times and stopping places may be off by 50 miles or so. we just aren't sure how long we will be at each tourist location or where and how many potty breaks we will need.

Once again, this is NOT a strictly organized or controlled trip! If you want to skip an attraction or zoom ahead of the group that's up to you. No hard feelings anywhere, anyhow. This is a huge multi state undertaking and it will not be micromanaged in any way. We are all out to have fun and see as much of RT.66 as possible.

It is now 74 days before we leave Chicago. 72 for the folks leaving from Florida! It will be here before you know it!

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
2nd half map

The tentative map of the 2nd half

Attachments

41 - 60 of 87 Posts