NewBeetle.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I have been playing around with the tentative schedule for the Chicago to Roswell run. If we do approx. 200 miles a day our stops would be:

Springfield IL Friday night
Rolla MO Saturday night
Joplin MO Sunday night
Stroud OK Monday Night
Shamrock TX Tuesday night
Tucumcari NM Wednesday night
Roswell NM Thursday night

This puts us into Roswell a day early (Thursday) with 5 cars going and everyone having different tastes in tourist traps I am sure the extra day will be absorbed somewhere, somehow. This is why we have to "wing it" as far as each nights hotel reservations. Vern has the latest hotel/motel guide for Rt.66 so each night when we stop we can guesstimate the next nights lodging. We will try to be in Vaughn NM at noon on Friday to meet up with the New Mexico and California groups for lunch and then caravan together into Roswell.

Chuckie
This puts you guys 24 hours ahead of where I'd be at any point en route to Roswell, so my only hope is to ride with you as far as Albuquerque afterwards and work my way up through Colorado and up to I-80 to get back home via Des Moines.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Extra Day

Pat, Read it again. We don't have to be in Roswell until Friday night. Those stops are just guesses as they are about 200 miles apart. I can just about guarantee that we will be a day behind those dates. Putting us into Vaughn on Friday noon and Roswell Early afternoon Friday.

Again, As we get closer things should firm up. I can call you from the road once we know more exact details.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
If everything goes as planned from my end, I would be leaving Wisconsin on Wed night the 24th. If I knew I could hook up with the IBT in Missouri, I'd go down that way through Illinois instead of Des Moines to OKC. It would be a couple hundred miles out of my way, but worth it to join a caravan like this. If not, I'll go the standard route and wait until OKC. It also depends on whether Dustin will be riding copilot.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thursday night

Pat,

If you are looking at leaving Eau Claire on Wednesday night you could get close to us for Thursday night. We should be somewhere near Amarillo TX or Tucumcari NM. We would be in a hotel around there looking to head out the next morning for Vaughn and Roswell

Mapquest puts Eau Claire to Amarillo at 17 hours. If you left Wednesday evening with Matty as co-pilot you would be on the Oklahoma City to Amarillo stretch about the same time we would be. Of course this would be you guys driving straight to catch up, but then you get Thursday night to sleep and depart with us the next morning.

Oklahoma City is 13 hours out for you. It's possible this could work! Either way, we will swap phone numbers and keep you posted where we are and where we could possibly hook up.

This would be sweet!

Chuckie

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ibt tour

Hi,

What is your schedule a few days before you arrive in Roswell??

Thanks,

KNEWBUG

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Approaching Roswell

We will be spending Thursday night either in West Texas near Amarillo or around Tucumcari New Mexico. We plan to be in Vaughn New Mexico at Noon on Friday the 26th of June for lunch and then a couple hour ride to Roswell for an early afternoon check in.

We are not completely sure where we will be Wednesday night. The above locations are just a guesstimate based on us doing around 200 miles a day from Chicago.

If you are interested in joining us inbound to Roswell or outbound to California we would love to have you! Just need to find out where we will be when you are looking to meet us. We can swap cell phone numbers when we get close and see if we can make a connection.

We are now 64 days before we leave Lou Mitchell's in Chicago. Time is flying by!

Chuckie

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the ifno, will let you know what I plan to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
?? re stickers

We are now 174 days from Lou Mitchel's in Chicago.

Here is the sticker that each car will be issued to wear on the trip. They will be Magnetic so they won't mess up anyone's paint work. Not sure how big to make them. Looking at 8x10 for putting on the car door or 4x5 to put on the trunk.

Looking for opinions. Once we decide I can see what my sticker guys can do for us!

Chuckie
Chuck, are these stickers also for the folks joining after Roswell? I thought I saw somewhere that they were only for folks who did the whole tour..? I really want the small oval one, and would happily pay for it. Thanks..

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Stickers

I have 10 stickers made for the trip. They are oval shape and 3" tall and 5" wide. I am going to stick them to magnetic sheets and cut them out so they can go on our vehicles without making a sticky mess.

I am looking into smaller stickers to put on windows. These would be about 1" tall by 2" wide or so. I have not found anyone yet who makes them but I haven't looked that terribly hard either.

I will have them with me in Roswell so I can give you one there. They are something like $4.00 my cost with shipping so it's not a trip breaker.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Lou Mitchell's Chicago

I need to know who will be joining us for breakfast at Lou Mitchell's in Chicago on Friday morning June 19th 2015 at 5:30 am.

I have spoken to the restaurant and they have told me that we can park right outside of the storefront. I had to give them a number of vehicles we would have so they can make sure the space is clear for us.

We hope to be out of there by 7:00 am so we can get an early jump on the rest of the IBT. It would be great if we had some local Chicago area beetles there with us as well!

58 days until breakfast in Chicago!

Chuckie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have 10 stickers made for the trip. They are oval shape and 3" tall and 5" wide. I am going to stick them to magnetic sheets and cut them out so they can go on our vehicles without making a sticky mess.

I am looking into smaller stickers to put on windows. These would be about 1" tall by 2" wide or so. I have not found anyone yet who makes them but I haven't looked that terribly hard either.

I will have them with me in Roswell so I can give you one there. They are something like $4.00 my cost with shipping so it's not a trip breaker.
Thanks Chuck, I'll buy you a beer somewhere on the trip.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chuck - I am a local Chicago guy who plans on joining the group for breakfast at Lou Mitchells.

If your looking for a motel near the restaurant check out the Ohio House on north LaSalle St In River North. It is a mid century remodeled motel with FREE parking. Downtown hotels charge for parking.

Paul

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Cool!

Thanks Paul!

I will check it out. Haven't decided where the night before is going to be yet. If this is half way reasonable it may be our answer!

I appreciate the info.

Chuckie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yikes!

Time is flying by now!

We are down to 34 days before the Florida group heads out for Chicago! Still a little bit up in the air about the exact route we are taking to Chicago, but, I am sure that will work itself out as we get closer.

This is going to be some epic silliness as we convoy down Route 66 towards Roswell!

Chuckie

·
Registered
560 Posts
How many???

How many in your group????

:thup::thup::thup::thup::thup::thup::thup::thup::thup::thup:

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So Far we have....

Coming from Florida:

2 Beetle coupes
I New Beetle coupe
1 GTI

Coming from Virginia:

1 New Beetle coupe

Total of five cars and 9 people from down this way. Some have talked about joining us for portions of the trip from Chicago to Roswell. There is a group of New Beetles and Beetles joining us in Roswell for the second half run to Los Angeles through Az and NM.

All in all it's going to be an insane amount of fun. Hopefully more folks will make the decision to pull the trigger on this once in a lifetime trip and join us.

Remember, Life is short, Eat dessert first! No one lies on their death bed thinking they did too many things or had too much fun.

Chuckie

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
I am still planning on meeting up with you Friday morning for breakfast and tagging along to Springfield.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Zonkers!

Time is flying by!

Four weeks from today the Florida contingent will be on the road to Chicago!

It's going to be here before we know it

Chuckie

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't wait! I leave here, Bullhead City, Az. on the 24th, staying the night in Show Low and meeting Carolyn and Mike in Show Low the morning or there abouts on the 25th. Then on to ABQ!

I am going to join you IBT'S for part of the second leg of the trip! :D

I am going to start picking up stuff I will need this next week.

Can't wait to meet you all!!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts