VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
They don't do much or at least not what they advertise them to do, but to answer your question you don't need to do an oil change. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Make sure you pour in and fill tank at the same time

·
Registered
322 Posts
Actually I have read the technical service bulletin from Porsche and the factory recommended method of cleaning fuel injectors is dumping a bottle of Chevron Techron in a tank of fuel and running it until it's near empty. Cleans injectors to near new condition. When I use Techron (and I do) I always use it in the last tank before an oil change because it will tend to dilute the oil a bit.

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
Well my injector cleaning experience with fuel additives as a one time thing have not been very successful in the past, again, personal experience.
As far as the method of mixing, that's pretty much what I said. I use anti gel additive throughout the winter in my truck, and my thinking is, if I pour the additive in a nearly empty tank and then fill it up, the stream of fuel coming into the tank will blend the additive with the fuel better than pouring it after filling the tank up. If you use common sense, and follow directions on the back of the bottle you'll read that your not supposed to fill up again until tank is in fact near empty.
I had no idea the engine oil had such an impact from a bottle of additive to need an immediate oil change:confused:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys! I'm only asking because

1] a lot of people have recommended using a bottle right before the oil change but the reasons they give for it are confusing and conflicting with one another :confused:

2] I don't want to mess up anything in the car like the o2 sensors...the check engine light gives me the worst anxiety attacks :(

is there anything I need to be aware after I pour the bottle of cleaner in? will my meters go a little nutty? has anyone used it without getting an oil change right after?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The only thing you need to do is add a bottle when the tank is nearly empty and do it at the gas station before you fill it with gas so it mixes well with the fuel. You will not hurt any sensors, trip any codes, or hurt anything. Like I said before, it is a little hard on the oil (picture oil after you sprayed brake clean on it)because it goes into the combustion chamber and there is some blow by and so a small amount gets into the oil. It won't destroy your motor, it's just a good practice to have your oil at full lubricative strength.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I continue to use the recommended Techron successfully, and use a bottle into a full tank before each oil change.
The cleaners do a good job of removing carbon and varnish buildup.
The only place that stuff has to go is the Oil pan, so its recommended you change your oil after the gas tank is almost empty.
It's not the cleaners that get into the oil- its the poo they cleaned out (you ever see the water come out of your wash machine?).

·
Registered
553 Posts
these replies make good sense :) now I just have to wait until I have a little extra money
Save the money, use gas from good station and you will be fine. Never fill up with gas if the fuel truck is unloading at the station you pull into. The gas filters down to 5 microns, it will catch most anything and should be changed at least every 30k miles. The cleaners are great, but under normal use you should not need them and can save lots of money by not buying into this bunk.
If however you store the vehicle for months on end use a fuel stabilizer and run a can of fuel inj cleaner thru once a year on a fresh tank of gas. IMHO :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
There are some vehicles that are susceptible to clogged injectors, lots of things feed into it like cam timing, how close the injector tip is to the valve, and number of holes in the injector tip. Jason does make a good point in that most name brand fuels have some detergent in them today since all current cars are injected. We had a GM mini van that clogged injectors and we used name brand fuel, a bottle of Techron fixed it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you really wanna clean it out the entire car. You could always Seafoam it.
Seafoam works amazing. Some people dont recommend it, but I have done it before, and havent had any issues in 3 years since doing it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Save the money, use gas from good station and you will be fine. Never fill up with gas if the fuel truck is unloading at the station you pull into. The gas filters down to 5 microns, it will catch most anything and should be changed at least every 30k miles. The cleaners are great, but under normal use you should not need them and can save lots of money by not buying into this bunk.
If however you store the vehicle for months on end use a fuel stabilizer and run a can of fuel inj cleaner thru once a year on a fresh tank of gas. IMHO :)

great advice, this bottle of cleaner will be the first I've ever used. I've been going to Arco and this other no-brand station, about 200 ft away from my house, since I bought the car so I figured I could give it a try

·
Registered
605 Posts
Try and find non-ethanol gas stations. They do still exist!

Ethanol"s Stoichiometric ratio is crap like 9:0:1 just crap!
Unfortunetly, its everywhere now mandated by the government.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
If your state actually puts the labeling on the pumps, try to non-ethanol gas. But its getting harder and harder to find.

Here in NC, they aren't required to label ethanol content so I have no idea if I'm getting gas with ethanol or not :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts