VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 2007 Beetle 2.5 with 125,000 on it. Runs good most of the time. If it idles for 10 minutes or more and gets hot it will start missing and will eventually cut off. After cooling it will start and run fine. There seems to be a problem with something heating up and malfunctioning. I have replaced the Mass Flow and O2 sensors. Will plug coils malfunction when they get hot. Codes show misfires and lean bank. If I park it hot, it will not crank till it cools down. Seems heat is the common element. Actually runs great when it is cool and going down the road.Tries to crank, just misfires to much to catch up.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
What are the actual code numbers you are getting?

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is, but my mechanic told me if the CEL is EVER flashing, stop instantly. Good luck finding the problem.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is, but my mechanic told me if the CEL is EVER flashing, stop instantly. Good luck finding the problem.[/QUOTE

Time for a new mechanic!!!

The CEL is designed to flash during misfire events. If you cannot detect the misfire, it is not the end of the world to continue to drive the car.

Many of the things that cause the CEL to light will not strand the car, however, without an OBDII reader it is hard determine how serious the problem may be.

See the link below in my signature on OBDII tools. $35 or less for a smart phone App and interface.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts