NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 beetle 2 liter. it has idled low for a while when first started and after it is warmed up it's around 800. Biggest problem is now that it is cold out I have to give it gas during crank and a few seconds afterwards to keep it running. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
2000 beetle 2 liter. it has idled low for a while when first started and after it is warmed up it's around 800. Biggest problem is now that it is cold out I have to give it gas during crank and a few seconds afterwards to keep it running. Any thoughts?
Go to Autozone or another Autoparts place and have it scanned for codes. Write the codes down and report back to us.
In the meantime check for any vacuum leaks, Clean your MAF sensor and make sure your hoses from the SAI pump to the EVAP Purge valve isn't loose or broken. The SAI pump itself could be leaking. The first thing I would do is scan for codes even if you don't have a Check Engine light on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plugged it into the vagcom. It had one code. It was for the post cat. o2 sensor. I will check the stuff you listed by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Throttle body

I would clean the Throttle body valve,fuel injectors and the MAF sensor and reset the ECU for starters. My 2 cents on this.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally had a chance to work on it. I replaced the coolant temp. sensor and now it runs smooth and idles around 900 rpm and needs nothing to help it start!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
wow

wow thanks for the update I would've never guess that's what would cause those symtoms. My first guess was the MAF cause that's what set's up your gas to air ratio via the ECM, so i thought all this time..LOL :p

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
CTS failures can cause some odd symptoms. My car would rev up to about 2k on startup for about 5-10 seconds with my first failure. No symptoms with my second. Odd little parts for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts