VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new seals on the injection pump on my wife's '01 Beetle because it was leaking. Everything went fine, I re-primed it with a vacuum brake bleeder. It starts and runs great, and even idles fine cold, until it warms up, then it idles rough, but still runs great when you rev it up. I changed the fuel filter thinking maybe that was the problem. Also, I don't think it's an EGR issue since I bypassed that a few years ago. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That fixed it, fuel timing was the problem. It was just a hair off, but that was enough to make it idle rough. Thanks for the help turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, turns out it's not quite right yet. The shaking at idle is gone, but it was hard starting this morning and there is some noticeable power loss. Dude told me to bring it back and he'd tweak on it a little more. He used a vagcom scan tool so I don't know where he could have gone wrong. I can't get it back over there until Monday.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I see you are in Winston-Salem. Where are you taking the car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see you are in Winston-Salem. Where are you taking the car?
It's a guy named Joseph Koontz. He use to be a VW mechanic and has his own shop now. Do you know somebody else in my area that you could suggest? I do most of my own work but sometimes need technical help. I'm a motorcycle mechanic and don't know all the details of a VW.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Everything Euro is who I'd recommend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
marking the fuel pump is VITAL

glad you figured it out. Dad n I tore into mine having the same problem and it's amazing: just a mm will throw its idle off COMPLETELY.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As I read through this Thread, I knew timing was not the issue........ no such thing as a "hair" off. If the mechanic used VAG COM (VCDS) he could see in the graph where the timing is. If the timing is anywhere within the graph, the engine will idle just fine. However, it's best for starting, performance, fuel economy, etc., to have the timing just a smidge (or hair...LOL) above the center line (advanced). There's no timing adjustment with VCDS, just observation. The adjustment is mechanical at the IP Sprocket.

Yep, you got the quantity adjustment out of whack when you removed the bits for seal replacement. The instruction when do an IP reseal is to scribe (mark) the relationship of the pump body, etc., so that it goes back almost 100% at the previous location.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got my buddies TDI running today. It's a salvaged car, so I had to program the keys.... When we got it stated it had no power, and idled like a paint shaker. There was a wire on the injector that didn't have a nut on it... It was arcing. New nut on the wire, sand is running like a new car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts