NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some work to our 99 Beetle today replacing the front grille and valance. I found more work that I need to do now since the previous owners apparently ran over everything in thei way. I now will be replacing the fog light assys as well. Upon looking under the car, I noticed the belly pan from the factory is totally missing as well as the side skirt on the drive side and there is minimal left on the passenger side. I have been searching and thought this wasn't a half bad deal.Was wondering if anyone installed one on their car and did it fit ad work out good?The plastic isn't much cheaper so I thought I would go the aluminum route.We are planning to park our Bug in the winter months and enjoy it in the summer months,so I think the belly pan should last.Opinions???

Belly Pan & Sideskirts Underbody Set w/ Hardware (A4) - IDParts.com

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I was doing some work to our 99 Beetle today replacing the front grille and valance. I found more work that I need to do now since the previous owners apparently ran over everything in thei way. I now will be replacing the fog light assys as well. Upon looking under the car, I noticed the belly pan from the factory is totally missing as well as the side skirt on the drive side and there is minimal left on the passenger side. I have been searching and thought this wasn't a half bad deal.Was wondering if anyone installed one on their car and did it fit ad work out good?The plastic isn't much cheaper so I thought I would go the aluminum route.We are planning to park our Bug in the winter months and enjoy it in the summer months,so I think the belly pan should last.Opinions???

Belly Pan & Sideskirts Underbody Set w/ Hardware (A4) - IDParts.com
Everyone around here does dieselgeek, but this is cheaper, and with side skirts. Nice.
Know a few UK Buggers who have these :)

I've been looking into the steel ones :)
As usual, all talk and pics, no link!
Looks nice but I hate to take that off every time I do an oil change.
Seems to me I read the dieselgeek aluminum has an optional hole and plug, just not sure, but I think...

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plus the other 2 bits :lol:

You should see the PITA to remove the one from my 05 Grand Cherokee then...

Looks nice but I hate to take that off every time I do an oil change.
It may take some doing,but for as often as you have to change oil,the protection will be well worth it..

·
Banned
1,583 Posts

·
IDParts.com TDI Devotee
7 Posts
This isn't really a "fair" reply since I designed this pan but I'll give you my thoughts anyway.

This pan was made as a cheaper alternative to the OEM pan. It fits well, but since it is made out of one sheet of aluminum, not molded plastic, it doesn't fit as perfectly as the OEM one does. Also, as noted, it IS NOT a skid plate, it is a less-expensive OEM replacement.

Its only 4 pounds so installation is fairly easy. The only challange is that the pan is not molded to the underside curve of the car, so you'll need to push the pan into place.

One of my TDIs has this belly pan and we have put it on other IDParts crewmembers' vehicles too. I like that it doesn't get "caught" on stuff so I don't think it will rip itself off like the OEM one likes to do.

I have a aluminum "skid plate" on my TDI wagon however, and the skid plate is MUCH harder to install and remove than the ID aluminum pan.

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
Those are beautiful! And with it covering further back it seems like a great replacement option!

But... I notice it's listed for TDI's... Is there a structural difference to the engine chasis that would stop me from putting it on my 2.0 Manual gas model?

·
IDParts.com TDI Devotee
7 Posts
IDParts is a TDI specialty shop so we don't have any listings for gasoline models.

The 2.0 used a "mini" belly pan that is more of a wind fairing and doesn't really cover anything. The aluminum pan is a great upgrade for a 2.0 to keep all the debris out of the engine bay. I've put a few on 1.8T motors too. Some gasoline models *MAY* use a slightly different sideskirt that can't use one of the bolt holes but I was able to properly fasten the pan without that bolt (its in the middle, on the side so it isn't an important point)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hmmmm

Deisel Geek is the answer, even after repeated ramings with my repo rig its still fine> after owning my bug for a few years it was cheaper to buy a tow truck than keep paying the tow company!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Know a few UK Buggers who have these :)

I've been looking into the steel ones :)

These are mine and they aren't steel / alloy / whatever - they are OE parts in good old plastic. The big 'skid plate' is the TDi undercover just painted in BBS wheel silver so it looks bright and clean on my show car. The side panels are painted gloss black and are 1.8T items. Nothing fancy here and really easy to remove for an oil change.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
These are mine and they aren't steel / alloy / whatever - they are OE parts in good old plastic. The big 'skid plate' is the TDi undercover just painted in BBS wheel silver so it looks bright and clean on my show car. The side panels are painted gloss black and are 1.8T items. Nothing fancy here and really easy to remove for an oil change.
Nice! I wonder why the TDI gets a full coverage belly pan while the other beetle's get a three foot by one foot Piece of Crap. I wonder if the TDI pan would fit on the regular beetle's? I think it would keep the salt away in the winter time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts