VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I have to reprogram the TB and associated sensors? If so, what scan tool do I need, how much are they, and where can I find one?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
When you put the throttle body back in and have it hooked up. Turn the key on but do not start the car. You will hear a high pitched sound and a motor sound that is the throttle body adapting itself. It does the same thing if you have to isconnect your battery. Takes a couple of minutes but then you should bre good to go.

It can also be done with scanning software but you don't really need it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I see that you have 99 bug. The key on method will only work on drive by wire engines. Unfortunately yours is drive by cable and will need a vagcom to accomplish the alignment

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see that you have 99 bug. The key on method will only work on drive by wire engines. Unfortunately yours is drive by cable and will need a vagcom to accomplish the alignment
Crap...I just finished putting a new alternator in and had the battery disconnected. It runs fine (for a '99 with 157k on it). Am I going to have an issue?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It means that the throttle is controlled electronically instead of by a cable linkage. The connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body is electrical rather than mechanical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after I change the TB, I'll need to get it to a shop? Will it even run well enough to drive to a shop? Any idea what a TB realignment would cost?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
With the AEG engine you can do the throttle body adaption very easily: turn the key to the run position without starting the engine, wait 30 seconds and turn the key off again. That is all there is to it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts