VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the timing belt broke would the engine run at all?
I know the answer but have heard some crazier things on this site.

Story:Member since 2012 big reader of the site 1st post.
I just purchased a very nice "2002 2.0 Black parts beetle" for $600.00. Guy said "timing belt broke". I towed it over to our house and just for S&G's thought I would fire it up. Well it did and I drove it into the back yard. It was spitting and sputtering but would run and idle. When I would rev it, it would trim out a little. Turned on the A/C and it worked. Check engine light is flashing like a mother. Popped off the timing belt cover and it is there looks in good shape for a car with 105,000. Oil looks good and has been changed in the last couple of months from the sticker on the window and new oil filter. New battery in the last couple of months too. Looks like it was kind of taken care of. The "bad". Looks like a lot of the plastics hoses under the hood are cracked and will not stay connected to the air filter and the "air turbine" looking thing. (sorry didn't have time to research the proper part name)
Sooooo, I'm thinking it is NOT the timing belt.

Back story: We have a 2002 2.0 silver beetle and a 2004 2.0 yellow convertible beetle both 5 speeds. YES, my college and high school daughters can drive a stick. See my Name. Bought the "parts car" for a ton of interior parts for the silver bug.
Thanks in advance
Old School

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
No no no no and no.
big mistake to run an interference engine without a timing belt. you'll bend valves, which will gouge the head and even the pistons and cylinder walls.
Repair can range from a head rebuild to replacing pistols and even the entire engine.
If the belt broke, it's best to remove the head and see how extensive the damage is.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to get back to the question -

So to get back to the question-
If the timing belt broke would the engine run at all?
The answer is NO.

That's all I was looking for.

Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
If timing slipped though it could run but not well. I'd check the timing marks for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
timing

If all the timing marks align and the belt looks intact you might be okay but I believe your water pump is bad so you might as well plan on replacing the timing belt kit & water pump.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Seeing how it runs, check the compression; it might just be a bad head gasket. Hate to see a running NB turned into a parts car; speaking from experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts