NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's a question for the group. If you could only ever have ONE car, what would it be? Money is no object, but you can only have one, and that's that.

Me? I'd take this:

The old Aston Martin V8, in this case my favorite, a Series IV "Oscar India" from 1987.

Big, heavy, luxurious, but thanks to a sledgehammer of an Aston V8, face-melting fast as well. Then, to cap it all off, there's the styling. So muscular and powerful, but with a refined quality about it. A gentleman thug, if you will. You can imagine driving this car to an embassy ****tail party, and fitting in perfectly. Then, while you're inside partaking of the food, drink, and society, your AMV8 is out in the parking lot, beating up all the other cars. Without getting a scratch.

Every time I look at this car, I just want. One. So. BADLY. It's unlike Italian and German supercars and their lightweight high-revving nature. Instead, it's a big, heavy brute, with a leather & wood swathed interior that makes you feel like you're going 5,000 miles per hour inside an old British smoking room.

It's a land-bound Spitfire, a Merlin-engined shire horse.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
A Dark Flint NBC! I love me some beetles! I dont think..if I have a choice I will own any other car ever again. Unless of course I have kids. Then I'll get a Toureg for toting them around but I'll still have a Beetle just for me!!!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Click the link in my signature to see the one car i would want if money was no object. Life can be good sometimes. I'm lucky enough to be driving the one make/model of car i could ever want. I dreamed of my car since it was unveiled as a Concept car back in the day. Promised myself i'd walk into a dealership and leave with one and i did just that.

PS - i LOVE the aston martin though. You have to love European cars no matter what you drive. They just all seem so darn classy.

John

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Well, I really only have one car as it is, and if I wanted to I could afford a more expensive car than my Beetle, but I haven't bought one yet. Doesn't that tell you something?

No, no, not that I'm cheap, that I love my Beetle :p

Seriously, even if money were no object, a vehicle would still have to meet my requirements. 1. I refuse to buy any vehicle which does not provides me with a fuel economy I am satisfied with (30-40 MPG city), which rules out every sports car, luxury sedan, and truck or SUV on the market, including hybrids. 2. I don't need a large vehicle, because I don't haul anything and typically drive by myself. E.g., I can't see a reason to buy a four-door for myself. 3. It's got to be rewarding to drive.

40 MPG. Check. Small. Check. Fun-to-drive. Check.

:bigthumnb:

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
I share your sentiments with the aston marque, mr. glee.

However, i'd prefer a little something more modern:

the DB9. IMHO, the prettiest, most artfully designed production supercar out right now. (yes it beats ferrari and all that noise.)

and money had better be no object, since it only gets 12 mpg on premium.

here's a website that has all the artsy-fartsy photos i'd take of it.

p.s. - did u see this weeks episode of top gear (awesome british car show from the BBC) on the discovery channel where they featured your old-school aston and thats what inspired u to post this? because i did. and it reminded me how awesome aston martin is.

p.p.s.- if i ever get lucky enough to get the high paying engineering job ive been dreaming of, the signing bonus goes towards one of these:

the new v8 vantage. more realistic, since money, unfortunately, really is an object.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I'd cheat...( love my TS too much)...but if I could, it would be one of these. :heart:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Money no object and someone else is footing the bill for fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc....

hmmm... it has to have 4 seats, be brutally fast, luxurious, make me get weak in the knees when I look at it, convertible and timeless.

Well for that there can be only one car IMHO. The Bentley Azure.

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
manoverboard987 said:
I share your sentiments with the aston marque, mr. glee.

However, i'd prefer a little something more modern:

the DB9. IMHO, the prettiest, most artfully designed production supercar out right now. (yes it beats ferrari and all that noise.)

and money had better be no object, since it only gets 12 mpg on premium.

here's a website that has all the artsy-fartsy photos i'd take of it.

p.s. - did u see this weeks episode of top gear (awesome british car show from the BBC) on the discovery channel where they featured your old-school aston and thats what inspired u to post this? because i did. and it reminded me how awesome aston martin is.

p.p.s.- if i ever get lucky enough to get the high paying engineering job ive been dreaming of, the signing bonus goes towards one of these:

the new v8 vantage. more realistic, since money, unfortunately, really is an object.
Top Gear. Greatest. Show. EVER. Been a fan for a long time, and I'm thrilled they're showing it now on Discovery. I have a far-too-large collection of clips of the show downloaded from the 'net. :)

Yeah, Wednesday's ep probably pushed me over the edge to make this post, but I've loved the old AMV8 for a long time. Ever since I saw "The Living Daylights," Timothy Dalton's first turn as James Bond, I have desired that car badly.

Yes, the DB9 and the new V8 are both stunning cars, as well. I would not be unhappy at all with either. The DB9 has what may be the most gorgeous engine sound I have ever heard. I was lucky enough to hear it for real, at the last Tarrant County Auto Show I was at when I was still a car salesman. I was with Volvo, and our booth was right next to the Aston booth. I was over admiring the DB9 they had behind their velvet ropes, and the guy cleaning the cars offered to pop the hood, and I finally came face-to-face with that V12. The only thing better was after the show was over, and we were moving the cars back to Autobahn. The Aston guys fired up the DB9, and the world stood still. Time stopped. A flock of doves was released into the air. Trumpets were heard, angels sung. Well, okay, not really, but OOOHHHHHWOWWOWWOWYAAAAAY that was a tremendous sound.

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dnyed said:
I'd cheat...( love my TS too much)...but if I could, it would be one of these. :heart:
That top pic is of a '66 coupe ('66 because of the little strakes in the side scoops). One of my favorite Mustang years, ever. The '66, and the '69. I love those two years of 'Stang.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Atomic Glee said:
That top pic is of a '66 coupe
I know...:wink: The other is a '65 'vert. :p

(my Grandma had a '66. Silver, red pony interior. She was Grama Mustang! I want one, bad.)

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Fowvay said:
Money no object and someone else is footing the bill for fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc....

hmmm... it has to have 4 seats, be brutally fast, luxurious, make me get weak in the knees when I look at it, convertible and timeless.

Well for that there can be only one car IMHO. The Bentley Azure.
DROOL. The Azure is absolutely gorgeous.

I have a clip from BBC's "Top Gear" (aka THE GREATEST SHOW EVER), where Jeremy Clarkson drives the Arnage T, the stupidly-overpowered sedan version. It was one of the most entertaining bits of TV I have ever seen. There's Clarkson, driving the Arnage down the Top Gear track straight (a long runway), brassy British aristocracy music in the background. He then asks:

"Have you ever wondered what Blenham Palace would look like going sideways? Well, I'll just turn off the traction control, and you need wonder no more."

He decides to unleash the 6.75 liter twin-turbo V8 and its Biblical 645 lbs.-ft. of torque. The next shot, the music is rock, and the Arnage is power-sliding around a corner, steering in opposite-lock, tire smoke everywhere, engine roaring. It was amazing to see a car the size of a building power-sliding like that. As Clarkson said:

"What we have here is a 3-ton car that can do naught-to-sixty in 5-and-a-half seconds. A stately home that can power slide. Bentleys are supposed to be sporting, but this is manic. This is magnificent."

Pics (also, they prove nicely why Top Gear is the best - rather than taking a car around a golf course road at 20mph while the host talks about cupholders like, say, the US's "Motorweek", Top Gear takes the cars to their test track and beats the snot out of them to see what they can do. Whether that reflects real life or not, it's infinitely more entertaining!)

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
manoverboard987 said:
ok that does it - where do i find these clips??? :confused:
I get most of mine from RacingFlix.com. They have more than just Top Gear, also a bunch of random clips of cars. Top Gear is the best thing there, though. You can download for free, but if you make a $4.99/month donation you get access to much, much faster download servers.

I just checked, and I have 4.05 gigabytes of Top Gear clips. :D So, yeah, I'm a fan.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts