NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 beetle 2.0 130,??? miles.
Running fine until one day last week, it was damp/raining/snowing out, CEL was flashing, not running good. Checked this forum and all signs point to a bad coil pack. I got a new Beck-arnley? one and installed it. Running worse after the new one was put in. I'm gonna swap the old one back in and see if it runs ok, when it's not damp out. If so I assume I got a bad new coil pack.

ANY other suggestions? :confused:

I only had to disconnect 2 tubes with pinch to remove connectors, the plug wires, and the auctual coil plug. Not sure what vacuum lines and metal conectors other people talked about when swapping coils.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It could be the ignition cables also. Have they ever been replaced? If not, they should be. They are subject to wear so by 100,000 miles or so they should have been replaced.

The 1.8 engine uses one coil per cylinder so they take more work to replace. They also tend to be much less reliable that the coil used on the 2.0.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You said the CEL was flashing. Did you scan the car for codes? If so, please post the codes here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a code scanner right now, meant to get it yesterday but forgot. Looking at getting new wires and plugs. Looking at NGK wires Part # 57041 , and plugs BOSCH Part # 4417 or BOSCH Part # 7402.
Any thoughts on theses parts?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The 2.0 has a Control Module on top of it that also needs to be replaced; these are a married set and should always be replaced together.

Also the 2.0 is "particular" about which coils, plugs and wires that it will work with. I have experienced this with my '98 and '99. I have never got either NB to work with anything over the counter from any local parts store.

My rule of thumb is to replace, plugs, wires and coil w/control module, all at the same time; never had a problem after that.

If you need it, here is the 2.0 Plugs, Wires and Coil DIY ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a scanner here is the list...help
P1255
P0442 ...small evap leak
P1296
P0300 ....random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0301... Cylinder 1 misfire
09304... Cylinder 4 misfire

Pending codes
P0440... Evap emission system
P0341 camshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance bank 1 or single sensor

a few codes are about temp or coolant issues. I replaced a sensor, pretty sure its a thermostat, I have one to install along with a new tstat housing.
When I last worked on it, it ran very poorly after the new coil was installed.
Tried today, wouldn't even stay running, so i stopped trying, only tried it for a few seconds, twice.
I'm gonna swap the old coil in and see if it gets better, maybe i got a bad coil.
Does anybody know how many ohms the plug wires should have new?
Do I understand you NEED a spark plug wire puller tool for these engines?

Gonna need some help here as I'm a Jeep guy (as my username implies). This is the first import I have ever owed in the 25 years I have owed vehicles other than motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The problem could be the camshaft position sensor. That would definitely cause a misfire.

The ignition cables should measure 4000 to 6000 ohms.

I made a spark plug boot puller by bending up a coat hanger. It works pretty well, actually. It needs to loop around the metal part of the boot down low. There are two metal "fins" that it needs to pull on to release the boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the original coil back in and it's running fine. I am assuming i got a bad Beck/Arnley coil, gonna see about returning it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts