NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got a question about the wife's 2009 NB. Occasionally the ignition lock cylinder will stick. She has already broke one key, and replaced at a nice cost. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough it is a pain. From searching I am guessing the lock cylinder just needs replaced, which seem straight forward enough to do. Will it match up with her current key though is another issue though.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
DO NOT FORCE THE KEY, this will not help matters.

Occasionally you may get the steering wheel to hang or put pressure on the lock cylinder. Suggest you have here rock the steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key normally.

I have this happen from time to time on my 2003. You do not want to force the key as you WILL break it. You will notice there is a groove cut on both sides of the key near the hinge, this is made intentional weak to break off if needed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was saying it was the steering wheel locking for a while too, but not any more. It is the lock cylinder itself not turning no matter how you jiggle the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
'09 is pretty young compared to most of these cars.

Is the car still under any sort of warranty?

Are you original owner? Do you know the cars history?

Not sure what to tell you?? Graphite?? Possible another key in the family was attempted to be inserted and damaged something?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife replaced her totaled 09 for another 09 a couple months ago. Car only has 17000 miles on it too. So we bought it used, don't know the history at all. I can try some graphite first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dredging this back up. Wife is getting antsy with me to get this fixed. Really no new info to add, just doing the same thing. Where the steering wheel is at doesn't matter, and neither does turning it help. Key just doesn't want to turn sometimes, then finally will.

Still guessing it is the lock cylinder, but no real idea where to start looking for one.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
1stVW carries the lock cylinder for $54.90:

https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

Look under Electrical/Ignition System. You will need to have it keyed to match your current key. A VW dealer should be able to do that for you. I'd find a dealer first before buying the cylinder and make sure they can do it. Maybe the dealer will key it for free if you buy the cylinder from them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that isn't what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway red99. Maybe I should swallow my pride and let the dealer do it all. Will have to go check price.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So last week I made the appointment to get her car fixed. Was told 90-200 for the part and 101 a hour. Then I tacked the oil change on top as it was due. Figured I had a 600 bill coming.

Went to pick it up today and total was 85! Not being ungrateful, but I was shocked to say the least. Apparently it has the certified warranty on it till 100,000 miles and it all fell under warranty. We even bought it before the 50 deductible would have been added! So sweet and the wife is happy again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did the dealer do to correct this issue? My wife's 09 is at the dealer for the same thing. They replaced the lock cylinder two months ago, which seemed to fix it. Wife claims to have had another lockup, but I cannot duplicate unless the steering wheel is in the lock position under a load (cocked to one side).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They replaced the lock cylinder. It has worked flawless since then. It took it forever to do it for me, but it hasn't at all since.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What did the dealer do to correct this issue? My wife's 09 is at the dealer for the same thing. They replaced the lock cylinder two months ago, which seemed to fix it. Wife claims to have had another lockup, but I cannot duplicate unless the steering wheel is in the lock position under a load (cocked to one side).
Many lock cylinders jam when the steering wheel is loaded.

Just grab the wheel and start rocking it while turning the key normally, if the wheel somehow preloaded the lock cylinder you will be able to release it by rocking back and forth.

It have had this happen from time to time on many cars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The issue my wife's had wasn't the jamming of the wheel, but th cylinder it self not turning. She broke a key trying to start it once and about broke a second. Didn't matter how you jiggled the wheel, not to mention she was parked straight in our driveway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts