NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
:)
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! It has been a while but I am back to renewing and improving my bug. :)

I have a really strange issue that I am unsure how to resolve after doing my typical internet research.

I currently have one key fob and one valet key. About a year or so ago the key fell out of the second fob and was not found. All remotes and whatnot did work, otherwise. I eventually ordered a replacement from my local locksmith to replace the top of the fob and cut the new key. The fob did not match and was not cut directly.

So I took it to VW and they explained to me what I already knew, so they ordered me a new top-fob direct so it would be cut to my VIN. No brainer, because there wasn't a problem with the bottom part.

After the part comes in, I make an appointment (on a Saturday, because I really do not have a choice with my schedule) to the said VW that is out in the burbs with phenomenal, or so I had thought, service. I reside 45 minutes away in the city. I have all keys to be programmed.

They take my car and keys to program it. I assume 15 minutes to a half hour. An hour and some passes, and my service agent comes in to tell me that they "cannot get the keys to program past 50% in the computer. The car will start but the ignition immobilizer light is on the dash, so we don't know if it will decide to not start for you at some point. We have to keep your car to see what is going on with our computer on Monday."

Not only have I never ever left my car before, it was pretty far away from where I now live. My old dealer in NJ was 10 mins from home. They gave me a hard time about getting me a rental because I am not 25. I couldn't even get a demo from either manager. I was essentially stuck without a car and they did not care.

THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT. I'm just butthurt still.

So, is the problem actually their computer, which they only have one of? Or did this new key mess it up? Perhaps they ordered the wrong version of the key fob (I did not see it compared to my original)? Or did my ignition switch finally decide to kick the bucket?

She is a 2000. Any help would be great. I am "stuck" driving this 2013 Passat with all of the bells and whistles until they figure it out, which seems unlikely.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Its really hard; to know, what is going on... unless you actually talk to the tech, that is doing the work (even then; he/she may not have a clue either). Of course; there are times, when you just can't get something to work or fix it in the time allotted and when you are out of warranty, rentals and borrowing a car, costs them money and they are less inclined to give you one for free (under warranty; VW reimburses them for the rental costs). This is a case; where buying VCDS, could really pay off and do the key matching yourself. There are a number of components; in the immobilizer system, if anyone of them is not working... it could cause a key match problem. I know what its like; when you are beholden, to a dealership and they kinda keep you in the dark, on the details of a repair. While, your situation is frustrating and a hassle; I am glad they didn't send you off with your car partially disabled and then have you end up stranded, add a tow bill to your key matching cost. At these times; you are at the mercy of the dealer/service dept., maybe chalk this up to a teachable moment and move you in the direction of purchasing VCDS and doing things yourself. We all have to decide; when to pick and choose our battles (repairs), if you choose to deal with things yourself.... you take on whatever problems, aggravation, down time, etc. that the repair requires. Many times; with the right tools and having time to do the repairs, you can come out ahead. Getting a tool like VCDS; can give you the ability to do more, more complex repairs... it just depends on "how deep down the rabbit hole"; you want to go! Going back to the dealership and have them work on this "battle"; reminds you, how much brain damage that is involved in dealing with them. I haven't dealt with my dealer's service dept. in many years but when I did, it was just a continual string of ongoing frustration. after this issue is fixed; you just have to decide which battles to tackle and those to leave to others. If you decide to do things yourself; get the correct tools to do so and work on things yourself.

A site; to read up on the VW immobilizer system and understand how it works, do repairs, key matching etc.: is here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/immo-2-vw-audi.htm

You need to join; to get the good info.

·
:)
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its really hard; to know, what is going on... unless you actually talk to the tech, that is doing the work (even then; he/she may not have a clue either). Of course; there are times, when you just can't get something to work or fix it in the time allotted and when you are out of warranty, rentals and borrowing a car, costs them money and they are less inclined to give you one for free (under warranty; VW reimburses them for the rental costs). This is a case; where buying VCDS, could really pay off and do the key matching yourself. There are a number of components; in the immobilizer system, if anyone of them is not working... it could cause a key match problem. I know what its like; when you are beholden, to a dealership and they kinda keep you in the dark, on the details of a repair. While, your situation is frustrating and a hassle; I am glad they didn't send you off with your car partially disabled and then have you end up stranded, add a tow bill to your key matching cost. At these times; you are at the mercy of the dealer/service dept., maybe chalk this up to a teachable moment and move you in the direction of purchasing VCDS and doing things yourself. We all have to decide; when to pick and choose our battles (repairs), if you choose to deal with things yourself.... you take on whatever problems, aggravation, down time, etc. that the repair requires. Many times; with the right tools and having time to do the repairs, you can come out ahead. Getting a tool like VCDS; can give you the ability to do more, more complex repairs... it just depends on "how deep down the rabbit hole"; you want to go! Going back to the dealership and have them work on this "battle"; reminds you, how much brain damage that is involved in dealing with them. I haven't dealt with my dealer's service dept. in many years but when I did, it was just a continual string of ongoing frustration. after this issue is fixed; you just have to decide which battles to tackle and those to leave to others. If you decide to do things yourself; get the correct tools to do so and work on things yourself.

A site; to read up on the VW immobilizer system and understand how it works, do repairs, key matching etc.: is here:

VW TDI Immo 2 troubleshooting general information and procedures

You need to join; to get the good info.

I saw this link but it's not of use to me.I appreciate your opinionated response but it's past the point of getting a VCDS (at least for this time)- believe me I have contemplated it in the past. Unfortunately, I'm looking for a reply that can actually point fingers at possible causes.

My dealer doesn't really "keep me in the dark" and I talk to the tech when I go in. I have a strong trust with them because of several personal reasons, one of them being I am no fool when it comes to "things being wrong with my car". I was just sad they took my baby away.

So, back to the point of this post- does anyone have any idea or a similar experience? :) Diagnosing is what would be helpful for me. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts