NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oldwizard
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 Beetle and have discovered that the ignition lock sticks and the key will not turn. Sometimes flipping the key over works, sometimes not. Jiggling and shaking the steering wheel sometimes works. Last night after work I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to get it go. I'm worried that I'll be stranded. BTW, it only came with one key so that's another issue. I tried WD40, but it's still sticking. I'm guessing a new ignition lock is the next choice. Any other ideas?:confused:

·
Oldwizard
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

OK, out of desperation I thought I would try more WD40, only this time I would blow air into the lock to maybe spread the lubricant around. So I sprayed in more WD40 then used a can of air like you would use to clean your keyboard. When I sprayed in the air all kinds of debris came out! I did the process one more time and got a little less stuff coming out. But here’s a tip: wrap a paper towel around the nozzle to prevent whatever is in the lock from going all over the place. Lesson learned on my part.:eek: So now I have had three starts in a row with minimal problems. I will keep my fingers crossed and let you know what happens.

Also the local VW service dept. suggested it might be the housing and not the key cylinder. About a $500 job.

·
Oldwizard
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's Fixed!

Well, the sticky ignition issue is resolved. The WD40 and air blast did the trick - at least for now. The key works everytime now with no sticking at all!!! :D

Now I'll see how long it lasts...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Key Won't Turn

There is an interlock between the ignition and the transmission that has a cable running from the steering lock cylinder to the gear shift. This cable runs inside the steering column. If the locking mechanism inside the steering lock is slightly out of place, it will prevent your key from turning. Try adjusting your steering column up or down and in or out (note that if you pull the lever down to raise or lower your steering column it will also allow you to telescope it in or out) as this will move the cable and locking mechanism. You can also try pushing the button on the side of your gear shifter as this is also tied to the cable. Good luck and please let me know if this works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts