VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted a 2010 Beetle and noticed that the ignition sometimes gets stuck. I have to push in or jiggle the key and fiddle with the steering wheel to get it to turn. I know many cars require this sometimes because of the steering lock, but this feels different, as though it may break soon. Is this typical?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I park a lot of different ways, and I haven't kept track but I think it happens no matter which way I am turned. I get the feeling there is a loose piece of plastic that gets in the wrong place sometimes, like a defective steering lock mechanism.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
Try jiggling the steering wheel instead of the key. You need to remove the pressure of the steering system against the key lock mechanism. If in trying to turn the steering wheel in one direction, you feel no movement at all, then try the other direction. You should be able to feel the steering wheel move against some resistance, then turn the key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had trouble with the ignition barrel. The key would not turn at all. Did the steering wheel trick and everything else, nothing worked. The I sprayed dry graphite lubricant in the ignition barrel. It unlocked the mechanism and has gotten easier to turn every time I have turned the key since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts