NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few of these posts and some are old but I am going to post this anyway as I had this problem this week and found the solution after much struggle. It seems if you remove the key from the ignition, then move the steering wheel, it locks to the point that you cannot restart the car or turn the ignition with the key. Here is the fix.

First, get out of the car, close the door and lock it so you are basically starting over. Unlock the door and get into the seat. Put on your seatbelt (yes you must do this), press down on the brake pedal, pull the steering wheel slightly to the left and turn the key. Should work. Worked for me. DAB

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Awesome.
I believe you have an underlying issue, which is the ignition switch itself.

moving your steering column to the left, sounds like you're getting a bad connection with your ignition switch. I, along with many others discovered worn out wiring...more so, the insulation, causing the no start. The bad wiring/insulation will short out the ignitiin switch.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not uncommon for the steering wheel to bind on the locking pin.

Happens often if people use the steering wheel to assist in exiting or entering the car.

Simple solution is if the key does not turn, put slight pressure on the key, then rock the steering wheel back and forth, left to right, and this should release any pressure on the locking pin and you should be able to turn the key as normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ignition Key Will Not Turn

There is an interlock between the ignition and the transmission that has a cable running from the steering lock cylinder to the gear shift. This cable runs inside the steering column. If your key will not turn, try adjusting your steering column up or down and in or out (note that if you pull the lever down to raise or lower your steering column it will also allow you to telescope it in or out) as this will move the cable. You can also try pushing the button on the side of your gear shifter as this is also tied to the cable. Good luck and please let me know if this works.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This thread is from three years ago! If the original poster hasn't solved the problem by now, they've likely sold the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts