Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Should i do anything at all

Votes: 25 59.5%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Its Andy here. I have a big problem will you all please help me please. I bought a silver beetle convertible this summer and love it. His name is Bernard. The only problem is that im a really big guy about 6'8 and the car is so small(I fit great btw) i get made fun of daily about it though, and am about to the point of selling it. Please help me i dont want to sell it but i dont want to get made fun of anymore. I have limo tinted the windows is all so far. Please help... What can i do to make people stop making fun of me.

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
I am a big round German in a small round car!

Who cares what other people think?

If you,
1. Love your car...
2. Fit in your car...
3. Are comfortable with your sexuality...

Then it doesn't matter!!! :D

Just ignore them, burn rubber and show em a Beetle matters :cool:

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts

If you,
1. Love your car...
2. Fit in your car...

Just ignore them, burn rubber and show em a Beetle matters :cool:
Well said Stephen, and I concur; and this coming from a 6'2" dude:bigthumb:

The ones picking at you are insecure in themselves and are comfortable with safety in numbers- they can't be their own cat. If they can't respect who you are and how you roll, they're now worth hanging with.... bullocks to em, I say:p.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all of you guys, its just so hard when thats all that is going on is getting made fun of everyone, because I have darker skin and am so abnormally tall. I love my beetle, the only compact car I fit in. Do you think i should just keep it, or keep it and do things to it?

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,411 Posts

If you,
1. Love your car...
2. Fit in your car...

ah, yup. what evanrude just said.

6'4", 250+, and I've driven my NB almost seven years...in that time, i've probably heard most of the girly car, chick car, and 'other' comments...don't care. :lol:

it's my car, i like it, and that's all that matters. :wink:

btw, i've converted a few of the doubters...they've changed their minds after a drive. :)

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Why do others' opinions matter? Just enjoy driving your Beetle.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
well i read a couple of your multiple posts of the same thing. if you're that wussified that you can't tell someone to screw off for making fun of your car, than you should sell it. just get rid of it and let the bastards control your life.

yes, sell the car. if it bothers you that much with what people say than you don't deserve it. my $.02

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know a fella who is OVER 7 FEET TALL and drives a mini cooper. He removed the front seat and actually sits in the BACK SEET to drive it. He totally loves his car. He loves how it sort of molds around him. I'm sure you can probably understand that. And people tease him in light jest, but no one actually means anything by their teasing. It just is a tad comical, but still super cool!! And he just shrugs it off good naturedly.

Are you maybe being too sensitive? For one, are the people teasing you serious? If they are, do you really want to be talking to them in any case?

And for two, why do you care? I mean really. If you like your car, this should be a nonissue. Tell 'em buzz off! :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a fella who is OVER 7 FEET TALL and drives a mini cooper. He removed the front seat and actually sits in the BACK SEET to drive it. He totally loves his car. He loves how it sort of molds around him. I'm sure you can probably understand that. And people tease him in light jest, but no one actually means anything by their teasing. It just is a tad comical, but still super cool!! And he just shrugs it off good naturedly.

Are you maybe being too sensitive? For one, are the people teasing you serious? If they are, do you really want to be talking to them in any case?

And for two, why do you care? I mean really. If you like your car, this should be a nonissue. Tell 'em buzz off! :cool:
I really like that thanks alot, im almost 7 feet in a few more inches. I like how the car kinda surrounds me i feel lower in it and actually safer then in a full size suv. I really dont think i am being sensitive i mean at first this summer i might have been because i wasnt used to it but its still going on all the time from everyone even teachers in my school sometime? I love my beetle though and am trying as hard as i can to ignore them but i think after how much i got today i hit the breaking point.

I usually dont care what people think because after a while it stops, this never stopped though. I am in high school I graduate this year, do you think it will be this way in college?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
The people who tease you sense that you're insecure about your Beetle. So they keep doing it! I'm going to have go with what John said, if this is such a big(no pun intended)issue for you and you can't move on, then you need to sell it to someone who will truly enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Greetings Andrewjkontos!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of New Beetle ownership!

Hey everyone, Its Andy here. I have a big problem will you all please help me please. I bought a silver beetle convertible this summer and love it. His name is Bernard. The only problem is that im a really big guy about 6'8 and the car is so small(I fit great btw) i get made fun of daily about it though, and am about to the point of selling it. Please help me i dont want to sell it but i dont want to get made fun of anymore. I have limo tinted the windows is all so far. Please help... What can i do to make people stop making fun of me.
When I first purchased my NBC one year ago, the rude comments were rampant particularly from my high school students. My attitude was and continues to be that the New Beetle Convertible is one of the least understood cars on the road.

• It is comfortable for drivers of just about any size, and has excellent accommodations for the front seat passenger.
  • It is among the more fuel efficient of the late model convertibles on the road.
  • It is much quieter than my '84 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible that had an original list price nearly twice the list price of my NBC.
  • I have heard more than one owner comment (and I agree) that "you can't help but smile when you see your New Beetle sitting in the drive" -- something that I haven't been able to say for quite some time about the other cars that I have owned.
  • With a modicum of care, the New Beetles hold up much better over time than some of their competitors -- I have seen few of the early models with evidence of rust around my home area despite the use of road salt in the winter.
  • For a small car, the New Beetle has front seats that are much more comfortable than competitors that I test drove prior to buying my NBC such as the Toyota Solara, Chrysler PT Cruiser, and Mazda Miata.

I have gotten so that I just ignore the nay-sayers, and if pressed for a response -- mine is usually "to each his own!!" and if the circumstances are corect I might add the comment "at least it doesn't cost over $100.00 to fill the tank on my New Beetle" -- the commentors who often insist upon a response are often drivers of full sized pickups and sport utilities -- I own one myself, but only drive it when I need to tow a utility trailer or one of my Airstream RVs (the NBC is far more fun, and since purchasing the NBC, my Suburban has only seen about 2,000 miles).

Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you -- enjoy your New Beetle Convertible!!!

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Thanks all of you guys, its just so hard when thats all that is going on is getting made fun of everyone, because I have darker skin and am so abnormally tall. I love my beetle, the only compact car I fit in. Do you think i should just keep it, or keep it and do things to it?
If by darker skin, you mean you're a black dude, well you're in good company:). But I don't let that bother me; you've gotta be cool with the skin you're in and what you do that makes you happy, including what you'd like to do with your beetle. Let the haters live in their miserable existence and enjoy your life buddy:bightumb:

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Hi there Andrew :wave3: Welcome to the org. You didn't say if you had the 1.8t or the 2.0. If it's the 1.8 you should let one of the teasers drive your car. That alone would shut him up. You can do a few mods to help make it a mans bug. You should check out a few of the photo threads to get ideas. Don't let the teasing get you down. How do you think my hubby feels when he has to use my car (pink flames)? You should stop letting them get to you & they'll stop teasing you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there Andrew :wave3: Welcome to the org. You didn't say if you had the 1.8t or the 2.0. If it's the 1.8 you should let one of the teasers drive your car. That alone would shut him up. You can do a few mods to help make it a mans bug. You should check out a few of the photo threads to get ideas. Don't let the teasing get you down. How do you think my hubby feels when he has to use my car (pink flames)? You should stop letting them get to you & they'll stop teasing you.
Its the 2.0, and when i went into the dealer they didnt have any beetles and then randomly this convertible came in and i fell in love there ti made me smile like people have said before. when your driving it i dont even realize anymore that its a beetle until i get out.

·
I want to go fast!
532 Posts
I say who cares! I'm 6'3" 350Lbs, used to be an offensive lineman (I'm 24) and I absolutely love my car. Don't get rid of it for them, keep it for you!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Andrew,

I find these comments most appropriate...

ah, yup. what evanrude just said.

6'4", 250+, and I've driven my NB almost seven years...in that time, i've probably heard most of the girly car, chick car, and 'other' comments...don't care. :lol:

it's my car, i like it, and that's all that matters. :wink:

btw, i've converted a few of the doubters...they've changed their minds after a drive. :)

I say who cares! I'm 6'3" 350Lbs, used to be an offensive lineman (I'm 24) and I absolutely love my car. Don't get rid of it for them, keep it for you!

Well I'm equally as tall and in between and I played football; in my senior year I was a guard for the Fort Drusy Army league in Hawaii. Afterward I became a jar head and now I own three NB's; talk about getting harassed... it is a never ending story! :D

I ignore them and at some point they get curious and want to know more about it. As they learn the harassment subsides, so it will take some time. It has only taken ten years, but my younger brother (the Cowboy Truck Driver stereotype) finally admitted he was willing to be an NB owner. Just remember it will not happen overnight.

Treat it as a challenge, adapt and overcome...

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should keep the car and continue to drive it. They are good cars.

I am 7ft tall and 290 lbs and I drive a VW Beetle every day. Plus, my wife is 4'10". She bought the VW when I was in the service because our other car died. It is just by good German engineering that I can drive the car comfortably. True, it isn't a luxo barge, but it is a good car and we are going to keep it as long as we can.

When people give me hell about driving my VW I just tell them about my 71 Oldsmobile 98 4 door. I tell them my VW is the escape pod for my Oldsmobile. :D

1 - 20 of 75 Posts