NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 New Beetle Convertible yesterday, and I'm loving it! Still figuring out all the various bells and whistles. I have a couple of questions:

I haven't yet tried to put on the boot or windstop. Are those useful, and are they easy to put on or off?

There's something in the manual about folding the rear seat. I haven't tried it yet, but what does that mean? Does the bench itself, that you sit on, fold up? Why would you do that?

My car has a few months left on the regular warranty, and the previous owner told me that it has a 100,000 mile warranty with no time limit. I can't believe that's true. There is no documentation about the extended warranty, he told me that it goes with the VIN. Does anyone know about the extended warranties on these and how I can find out more info about if I have one and what it covers?

Thanks in advance to everyone out there!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to tne New Beetle Convertible! :party:

The windstop and boot cover are not only useful, but protections. The windstop will allow you to be able to talk to your passenger, hear the stereo, feel the AC, and not have so much wind in your hair, with the top down. The boot cover protects the top, while down, keeping bugs, dirt and the like, from gettint into the folds. It simply just clicks shut, right behind the rear seat.

Congratulations to you for owning the funnest car on the road, and Have Fun with your NBC! :clap:

We Love Pics! :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If the rear seat folds in the '08, it's a feature that didn't exist before the body change, my '05 doesn't. I have an '08 NB but not an '08 NBC manual so I can't look at what you read.

Ditto what Deb (dyned) said about the boot and windstop, a couple minutes on and a couple minutes off, if that long, for each.

And a 100k mile warranty with no time? Never heard of such a thing from VWofA, although could be some type of transferable warranty the Seller had purchased, or some type of Dealer specific warranty that was offered. I have seen Dealers offer their own warranties, generally not bumper to bumper, and generally not transferable. But since you need to check in with a Dealer, change the ownership of record and have them check for open recalls, ask them.

Welcome to the Org!

You'll love your Vert! Fun cars to drive!

MORAV

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
The rear seat back does not fold down on any model year of the NBC.
The rollover protection system that utilizes the rear headrest supports prevent the seatback from folding.
The bottom of the seat will lift and fold forward. It's only purpose is to ease in it's removal if you need to service the rear windows at all.
There is no extended warranty provided by Volkswagen. If the previous owner said that one exists, he/she should provide you with the proper documentation for transfer from the company that is providing that coverage.
You should know that statistically, non manufacturer extended warranties are generally not advisable. They tend not to cover items that will typically fail beyond the original warranty coverage period and are really just a waste of money. But, if you did'nt have to spend any money for it and it is fully transferable from the previous owner to you, then you have nothing to lose. Just be sure you get the details!

YES, the windstop and top boot are both beneficial. You will get the most efficiency from the windstop with the top down and windows up. You will really notice the lack of wind buffetting and noise even at highway speeds. The top boot will definitely keep the headliner from catching road grime and grit which can lead to premature wear on it and the top frame parts. Some folks will claim that it's a pain to put on and use but I use mine every time I put the top down and it takes less than 15 seconds to install.
Hope you enjoy you're NBC and get as much fun out of it as us fellow NBC drivers do :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You should know that statistically, non manufacturer extended warranties are generally not advisable. They tend not to cover items that will typically fail beyond the original warranty coverage period and are really just a waste of money.
I don't agree! Sorry CGK.

I bought an extended warranty on a Jaguar XFS, that was out of time (very low mileage), from memory about $1000. $100 deductible. B2B, and in 18 months the warranty company spent $18k. The nice thing about it, even though it cost me $100 (each time), every time the Jag was in, I was sent home in, not a service loaner, but a NEW, untitled, Jag, Porsche, or Volkswagen. And I hadn't even purchased the Jag from that Dealer. Also a few Orgers around here with them, that are damn glad they had/have them.

Dealer's sell extended warranties, but unless the car is a CPO (and you pay for this extended factory warranty in the price of the car - its a factory program that the Dealer has to participate in from a cost standpoint), these warranties are 3rd Party. Good Dealers sell good extended warranties normally, but always read the fine print. When I bought the one on the Jag, I had a choice of several, and with different deductibles. I'm not talking about the kind you get solicited with in the mail, the kind that start out "Your warranty is about to run out..."

And as problematic as these cars are (although probably no more so than that POS Jag), I can't imagine a better investment (up the deductible on your Collision & Comp, and take the extended warranty, you'll come out further ahead) Although contrary to what some might think, it doesn't protect against things that fail to be serviced and.or replaced properly and in conjunction with the maintenance schedule, like a failed TB or WP. They are not service policies they are warranty policies, part of the reason they get such a bad rap.

M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I just came home from a long drive - top down, windows and windstop up, and it was GREAT!

I don't have any documentation about the extended warranty, the car is still under its factory warranty. Maybe there really isn't an extended warranty! In any case, the car is in great condition, and it was a private party sale so I spent a lot less than if I had gotten it from a dealer, so I'm very happy!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There is a maintenace (service) schedule in your Owner's Manual. Jst stay on top of it and you should have years of care free driving, with the wind in your hair, ahead of you!

And I just learned of a link. You can go here and enter your VIN and make sure that there are no open recalls on your Bug. If there are, visit a Dealer, they love to do this work, and there is no charge to you.
http://owners.vw.com/vww/vw_service/recalls.html

Also be sure and do the Change of Ownership thing so that any future recall notices or factory extensions of warranties get mailed to you. You'll also get a 90 day complimentary free trial to Sirius XM (no catches, no credit card info, etc.) if you have the SAT feature on your radio. Or if you don't want to wait, call them
http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/50722-free-3-months-siriusxm-sending-change-ownership-card.html?highlight=sirius

MORAV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts