NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I don't know who all remembers me, but my name is Alyssa and I was pretty active on this board about a year ago when I was first getting my license. I reaaaaally wanted a Beetle as my first car, but I wasn't ungrateful when I got a 2000 Chevy Cavalier instead. It's a pretty cute car and gets me from Point A to Point B, but I still have a huge love for beetles! I stopped posting on this board regularly because I figured I didn't really have anything to talk about, but guess what guys...? NOW I DO! :D

That's a '99 Dark Blue Beetle in my garage! :D I'm warning you guys, he's pretty beat up! I got home from work late and it's dark outside so I couldn't get any pictures of the interior, but I will tomorrow. My ipod that I took these pics with doesn't have a flash, so bare with me!

That's the lock on the driver's side popping out! lol! You can completely take it out when the car is unlocked. Weird!

His lights are super foggy.

Someone also keyed the driver's side door. :[ It makes me so sad! But he's going to get lots of TLC at my house. :] The roof on the interior sags, it's all stained up, and the arm rest is saggy, too. I'm pretty sure the center console is missing, too, now that I think about it! LOL. It's going to be pretty interesting fixing him up, but I love him SOOO MUCH! :D OH! I forgot to tell you guys about the biggest issue with him. His transmission is screwed up, of course. He has about 120k miles and is a 99, so that's to be expected. My dad's going to fix it up, though. His water pump, timing belt, and battery have been replaced.

We're going to get him looking like new! :] I'm so glad to be back. I'll definitely get better pictures and I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on the progress we make!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Wow! Talk about being patient. Well, congrads to you and your NB. Don't worry too much about broken things, the main thing is you have a NB in your garage. You can buy new headlights off of eBay for $160 a pair. I bought a set of them and they work great. Keep us posted as you work on it.

And welcome back and I do remember you. Your username is unforgettable.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Finally! And, you are the perfect person to adopt that neglected New Beetle. I just know, you will take good care of it. :)

Congrats to you for getting your dream car, and Welcome Back to the Org! :party:

·
Momentai!!!
1,092 Posts
Awesome!!! It sounds like he's in great hands! My first beetle was a 2000 Batik Blue like yours. I loved him VERY much!

Anyways congrats on the little fellow and best of luck my dear!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Hmmm, Alyssa.... well, it kinda, sorta, in some kind of way sounds familiar:rolleyes:

:lol:

Hey there:banana: Woot!!!! You finally got one... Woot, woot:banana:!!!

Very happy for ya Alyssa. Like Kurt said, you were very patient; and it paid off!

Your beetle experience will be a great one. You not only have a big-time passion for the beetle, but you value and appreciate what you had before getting your beetle; many people your age lack that virtue, and you are to be commended:clap:

Now the adventure begins kiddo! You're gonna have a blast getting your baby back to new. I'd go ahead and start an official thread for your beetle, so as to chronicle every step of the restoration, as well as all of your bugs photo shoots to come, hint hint:D.

As you very well know, this place is an awesome resource, for fix-ups, DIY's, technical info, and other good stuff:D. There's several beetle's that have undergone restorations/resurrections. One beetle that comes to mind is Opelmania's "Gayle". I'd check out his beetle, along with many others to get some inspiration; plus they're just cool to look at:D

So happy for ya kiddo! The dream has become reality:banana:

BTW, your pic with you holding your keys???... that grin speaks volumes:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the kind words, guys! :] I got to drive him(he needs a name!) last night to the automatic car wash(which does a horrible job cleaning the beetle's curvaceous figure, BTW! lol). Yeah, his poor transmission needs some work, that's for sure! My Dad will get him running great, though.

I vacuumed him out last night, and then today we worked on cleaning the seats a little. I made sure to take before pictures, though! I don't know how anyone's seats get that bad. It looked like the previous owner made a habit of spilling dark liquid all over her cloth seats. But a little Folex worked really well, and they already look way better! I can't wait to drive him to school! :D

OH! I forgot to tell you guys the best part. In the 6 Disc there's a mixed CD called "More R&B for the Hoe's"! SCORE! :D I can't believe that came free with the car! ;] heheh.

I'll definitely be making a thread for my beetle soon. :] I'm really busy with school, work, and having a significant other...lol...but I'll try my best to update regularly! It's great to be back.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
In the 6 Disc there's a mixed CD called "More R&B for the Hoe's"!

I can only imagine what's on that. :lol:

Oh, and you need to change your profile to read 1999 Batik Blue 2.0! (Or is it a 1.8T/20V Turbo?) :party:

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Well that CD sounds, um..... interesting:rolleyes:

Anyhoo, is your beetle an automatic or manual. When you said transmission issues, automatic first came to mind.

If it's an auto, a fluid/filter change will help. If you're dead-seat on keeping it an auto, there's suppliers out there that have them fairly reasonable. Just some food for thought:)

Have fun with your beetle. BTW, you beetle's name will come to ya:)

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Congrats.

Congratulations on your new Beetle. I work at the plant that made the Cavalier and now the Chevy Cruze which is an excellent car with a great paint job, I work in paint. The one thing these cars are not is a Beetle. I was fortunate enough to find my daughter a 98 that needed tlc. I recommend you check out ecstuning.com for parts. The have really good prices. I just bought oem replacement lights on ebay for $187. You may want to try one of the lens restore kits first if your lens are solid except for yellowing, about $20. I'm glad your dad is going to work on it for you, the dealer can get expensive.

Happy Motoring!!Be Careful!!:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forget which number that CD is, but they're all pretty...interesting. :p LOL! I won't make my beetle play that stuff much longer. I can't wait until I get to drive it all of the time! :D AHH!

Yeah, it's an automatic. And I do need to change my signature! Thanks, dnyed! :] Nope, not a turbo. But still lots of fun! I walked in the door today and my mom said, "I have bad news...I don't think you're getting a beetle..I don't think you get to keep it. I think your father is going to want to have it." LOL! He really likes driving that car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm definitely not going to start holding my breath for that one! :p LOL. Besides, I'm perfectly fine with this one! :] I am a fan of the new model ones, though. I think they're pretty awesome looking!

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I'm definitely not going to start holding my breath for that one! :p LOL. Besides, I'm perfectly fine with this one! :] I am a fan of the new model ones, though. I think they're pretty awesome looking!
Yep, the 12 Beetle is one hot ride! Wouldn't mind getting one myself:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugghhh...things aren't going as well as I'd hoped. :/

My beetle has been in the shop for two days, and it doesn't look like it'll be out any time soon. They gave us an estimate for some of the things that needed to be done, and it was going to be about $1500. We opted to try the $500 option first, and when they were done my dad wasn't even able to drive it home. :/ I'm so sad.

My Dad sat down in my room yesterday and told me that we might not be able to keep the beetle. He told me that the mechanic said he loves VW's and beetles especially because they make him a lot of money, but that he'd never own one because of the problems they have. My dad just doesn't want to get rid of my reliable car to put me in a car that could break down whenever. :[

Ugghhh...It's almost worse to have had a beetle and then have to get rid of it than never having a beetle at all! I'm not 100% sure we're getting rid of it yet, so fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Ugghhh...things aren't going as well as I'd hoped. :/

My beetle has been in the shop for two days, and it doesn't look like it'll be out any time soon. They gave us an estimate for some of the things that needed to be done, and it was going to be about $1500. We opted to try the $500 option first, and when they were done my dad wasn't even able to drive it home. :/ I'm so sad.

My Dad sat down in my room yesterday and told me that we might not be able to keep the beetle. He told me that the mechanic said he loves VW's and beetles especially because they make him a lot of money, but that he'd never own one because of the problems they have. My dad just doesn't want to get rid of my reliable car to put me in a car that could break down whenever. :[

Ugghhh...It's almost worse to have had a beetle and then have to get rid of it than never having a beetle at all! I'm not 100% sure we're getting rid of it yet, so fingers crossed.
What's wrong with your beetle Alyssa?

One key thing about this forum is details. Chances are there's quite a few of us that have gone through what you're currently going through. Some go to people who "work on VW's", only to find themselves at a mechanical crossroad, or don't really know what they're doing; no offense to your Dad's mechanic, but that's just the way it is with our bugs.

So please give us details so we can better help you.... you just might be surprised.

And yes, our beetles can be quirky, but with the proper resources, such as the org, the quirks and costs can be greatly minimized.

I hope it works out Alyssa. I know how much you love beetles:)

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
What Al said. Probie and i have been through a lot. even transmission issues, once you work out the bugs they are pretty reliable when maintained correctly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm typing this on my iPod right now so I'll be brief and please ignore the typos. :)

I am not too sure what's wrong with my beetle. My dad has told me specifics, but it's like he's speaking another language! I know we just spent $500 to have some things flushed out( I wanto say that "radiator" was one of the words my dad said.) and I think it got a new battery, too. But the transmission is still the same. It'll shift into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, but it doesn't shift past that. My dad thinks that after he replaces some cylinders( does that sound right?) and something else(so helpful, right?) it'll run great.

So bottom line, I don't think he'll get rid of my beetle. :) he really likes that car and told me today that he might get himself another one to fix up once he's done with this beetle! :D

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Glad to hear that pops will let your beetle hang around for a while:banana:

Auto-lingo can be another language, yes. There is a learning curve indeed, but being active here in the forums will be your best translator:)

Anyhoo, I know you might not understand what pops is saying, but when you get a chance, write down this foreign language you Dad is saying to you and share it with us:D. It will help us help you; and it will help you become intimately involved with the workings of your car. As i'm sure you know, knowledge is one of the best tools you can have:)

In other news....

Has your beetle's name come to you yet?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts