NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2005 NBC owner
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January my check engine light came on. took it in, bad fuel injector, had it replaced, and along with that I some maintenance stuff done. All was well for 4 months, then my check engine light came on again. Back to the shop we go. Cooling fan was broken, and my water pump was all but dead. Had those fixed along with new belts. All was fine for a month or so. Now my check engine light is back on. Car does ok, sometimes is sluggish to start recently. I cant afford this crap!!! Any ideas folks?

car has a new battery too if that matters. 2005 convert. :confused:

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Sorry you are having some problems with your New Beetle; unfortunately, we have all been there! :) Sounds like most, if not all of that work needed to be done! However, seeing how you're spending so much money on this car by having repairs done by a professional technician; there are some ways to help with high maintenance costs, by starting to fix things yourself. Due to the nature of these modern cars; you really need to get VW compatible scanner, to diagnose and figure out what is going on, when the check engine light is illuminated. There are some pretty inexpensive ones out there; $40 on the low end for the basic code reader Autel VAG 405 or $250 for the high end professional scanner, (that works with a windows based PC) called VCDS, from Ross Tech. I would go ahead and order the basic code reader scanner (VAG 405); meanwhile, go ahead and get your car scanned at your local auto parts store, for free. Once you get the codes from the scan; then go ahead and post the codes up here. Then, we will see if we can help you figure out what the problem might be and you can attempt the repair with our help! :) Just buying replacement parts; can reduce the cost of repairs in a major way, in many common repairs.... it is the the labor that is the most expensive cost of getting the job done. We can't make any guarantees but we all collectively, do our best to solve the problems people that post here, are having. Most New Beetle problems; have been experienced by many on this site, thus we can give you advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting, buying, replacing parts and completing the job. Get your car scanned and get back with us on what the codes are! :)

Autel Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=vag 405&sprefix=vag+4,aps&rh=i:aps,k:vag 405

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have you ever changed the fuel filter? I just bought one for my '05 2.0 for $38, yours may have the fuel pressure regulator built in like mine.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Get yourself some sort of OBDII scanner as Billy mentioned.

It will pay for itself the first time you use it. Get the actual codes Pxxxx numbers and post this info back here for review and comment.

See the first link below in my signature.

Also update your profile to include what engine and transmission you have. This info helps a lot as we can then understand what we are dealing with.

If you have an Andriod smartphone or tablet, this would be a helpful item as for $20 you can have a useful scan tool that can read real time engine data, this is the only issue with the VAG405, however, I would also purchase the VAG405 as well.

You cannot get by with a single scan tool. Even VCDS has limits and you have to have a computer and the cable with you. The VAG-405 can be left in the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts