NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of my comfort zone a little. It's an 02, Turbo, 6 speed. 160,000 miles and really cheap $1500. On C/L, it looks pretty nice. The guy has had it up for 20 days or so, so I'm thinking he's motivated. Says he replace the bushing in the shifter, so the surround and lower dash is not installed. Needs a regulator in the passenger's window, and the 3rd brake light is in the trunk. Black, a lousy color for Arizona and the clearcoat on the hood, top, and rear deck is mildly lifting. Might have the car painted matte black if I buy it. I'm buying it for fun, the price is chump change.

I have plenty of experience working on cars, I've done two engine r&r's in the past 5 years. One of them was on my Boxster. My other current car is an 07 Highlander (Toyota SUV) with 208,000 miles on it and in perfect condition. At that mileage, it needed struts and I put a set of extreme brakes slotted and drilled disks on it. And a paint job from Maico--oem color is nice and amazingly cheap.

If the 02 was a Toyota, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the miles on my Toyotas, 160k is barely broken in. So well built, and really first rate materials. I figure the NB has to start and drive, it will. The trannie, clutch, brakes, etc., are supposedly okay. The guy is gonna meet me about half way. And if I buy it, I'll haul it home on a tow dolly behind my Highlander. On Toyota, 160k doesn't necessarily indicate a tired engine. We'll see about the Turbo. Guess I could find an Audi or another Turbo engine if necessary. If the car is a Phoenix native, heat and sun are the only damaging factors. Here in the desert SW, things do not rust and water damage is unknown.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Billymade is a person of few words.

Well I bought the convertible. Looks like a new car, good paint and top, interior is okay, there's a wear spot on the driver's seat bolster--someone didn't know how to get in sporty cars. The driver's door panel is beyond repair (I understand the complaints about VW plastic now.) The regulator in the rear right window is shot. Drives fine, brakes fine, tires are good. Came with two sets of keys and the valet. A very nice little car. Only thing is it's an automatic--good for a city car, but the car feels under powered. Water pump and timing belt were done and the synthetic oil only has 3000 miles on it. Best part is that it only has 63,000 miles. Lowest mileage car I've had in the past 30 years.

Plan is to baby it. Do a low level restoration, fix all the little things that are sub par.

I wish my Durametric (for the Porsche) would work on it. I'll take pics later and post them when I can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck! I had a 2001 turbo (not a convertible). I loved it. People on the forum talk about automatic transmission issues with the earlier Beetles, but I never had an problems. The plastic is always an issue. If you search the forums you can find ways to make it look better. Post pics when you have a chance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts