NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to explain it as best as possible.

I'm probably afraid of the answers that I will get when I explain what's going on.

Since it's cold outside, I've been setting it so that it'll get a little warm in the car. I don't press the a/c button on or anything. I find that once I arrive at my destination whether the coolant light has gone off yet (Because I went a short distance) or not, there's this spot behind the car. it's not even clear, sharp spot. And it usually goes away probably within 15 or 30min. I've never come out and checked out long it takes for it to disappear. It's never wet enough even when I try to touch it right after turning off the car.

Now, it seems to take a little gas when this happens. I notice.

It's worse when I gotta defrost the car for 10minutes or so. The blurry spot isn't small but kind of big. I've noticed some white on ground after the defrost had been running. But that stuff all disappears by the time I come back to that spot later. Of course when defrosting the car, I use fan #3 and I have the knob turned all the way to heat.

I'm wondering if this is something to worry about.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Right off, I would be inclined to say you have no problem. It sounds as if you are talking about condensation in your exhaust system being "spit" out the tail pipe and collecting on the ground, and then evaporating. All my vehicles do this; I'm sure your fear is a blown gasket and this being a result, but I don't think so.

Btw, you might want to run your heat through your a/c on a regular basis throughout the winter, it is actually good for the a/c system to not sit dormant for months.

MORAV

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right off, I would be inclined to say you have no problem. It sounds as if you are talking about condensation in your exhaust system being "spit" out the tail pipe and collecting on the ground, and then evaporating. All my vehicles do this; I'm sure your fear is a blown gasket and this being a result, but I don't think so.

Btw, you might want to run your heat through your a/c on a regular basis throughout the winter, it is actually good for the a/c system to not sit dormant for months.

MORAV
Okay. Thanks. Would you know if you blew a gasket? Like would there have been a noise that happened? Not that I've heard any noises.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Consider this possibility; my sons '99 starting leaving "wet spots"; which I ignored because it is normal for water to condense out of the tail pipe. However they began to turn dark (over a period of several months) and leave spots on the driveway.

At the time I ran a VCDS scan and had two CEL codes even though the engine light (in the beginning) never came on; evap system leak (the yellow muck in the valve cover cap) and O2 Sensor. I changed both O2 sensors and no more noticeable spots; I do still have the yellow muck.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Okay. Thanks. Would you know if you blew a gasket? Like would there have been a noise that happened? Not that I've heard any noises.
There would be no noise. One symptom would in fact be be water coming from the exhaust, but as said, yours sounds more like condensation. Normal.
Support -
Why does water come out of my car exhaust - Yahoo! Answers
Condensation in Exhaust pipe normal? - Club Lexus Forums
Nancy Today: How cold weather affects car exhaust - YouTube
If you do have coolant leaking into your exhaust via a blown head gasket, you WILL be losing coolant.

Here's a good read on head gaskets, the cause of one becoming compromised, and the potential symptoms.
Head gasket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a couple videos on testing -
HOW TO TELL IF YOUR HEAD GASKET IS BLOWN - YouTube
How To Tell If Your Head Gasket Is Blown - YouTube

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts