NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Beetle brothers an sisters,
First my name is Allen an i am new to the VW World. I have a 2001 VW Beetle 1.8T Gas 5 Speed manual trans.

Problem that has my head spinning an looking for the correct answers. I have been all over the forms an see the same issues just need pointers.

When i put my key into stage 2 (non start) position the fans come on non stop on like TURBO SPEED even when bone cold. The fans stay on unil the key is turned off. I have changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor (Part #357919369F) the other forms had suggested as a sure pointed problem an have had no luck fan still at constant turbo speed from the point the key is turned on till the point its switched off..

PLEASE HELP!:confused::confused: I don't want to burn up the fans or the battery fuse box!

Thanks,
Beetle Juice

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assuming the fan(s) control circuit is similar across most years, the fan(s) should not run when the key is turned on unless the AC control is on so the AC button on the dash is lit.

There are a few sensors for the fan control as I recall, I am not 100% an expert (not bothered to dive into the fan control system and figure it out as I have not run into a lot of problems with it), however, what I do know is there is a sensor in the radiator on the drivers side of the tank, there is a sensor toward the front of the car in the upper radiator hose Y adapter if the car has this and the actual coolant sensors is near the back of the engine compartment on the driver site in the plastic housing that bolts to the cylinder head. Not all engines are configured exactly the same, but this is how mine is set up.

There is also a fan controller under the battery tray that actually controls the fan(s) speed, the after shut down coolant water pump and the AC fan clutch. My fan controller just failed at 14 years of age and if I had it to do it all over again, I would highly recommend this controller be replaced between year 10-12, it is around $60-$80 depending on where you buy it. Mine failed and the fans and AC would not work. I cut the unit open to inspect it assuming there would have been a melted relay or something, but I believe the controller circuit finally failed rather than the relays, they looked overall pretty good for 14 years old and 100k miles.

My understanding is the sensor in the upper radiator hose toward the front of the engine controls the fan when the engine is off and at or over a specific temperature.

The sensor in the radiator may be bad, wiring could be a problem or the fan controller would be my first guesses.

You can search here and on other VW forums for more ideas, there is one good thread here, but I do not think it is as comprehensive as I would like it to be - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/43260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Someone could have messed with the fan wiring. My girls 2.0 was wired to a switched on source to run the fans. I had to buy a new fan control module and new fans, then i fixed the wiring.
The fan control module was bad and only the high speed worked, so... i just said screw it.
Went to junkyard, found a newer year bug, ripped out the fans, ordered new module from rockauto and car ran fine. sold the car..

If you can get yourself

The sensor at the Tee uptop.
The one by the head
The one mounted on driver side radiator above the hose
And new fan control module.

I hate electrical issues but for peace of mind new parts are worth it even if it hurts the pockets or when its not the problem for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
sensor

could be that third speed sensor like jfoj mentioned. Here is a picture of it (green circle). Disconnect it and see if they stop.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts