VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this is my first thread on this forum. Hopefully all of you can help me.

My daughter bought a used 2001 Beetle 2.0 about 1 year ago. It's been running fine but, after going on a trip with some friends in which it sat for about 2 weeks, it refused to start for her - which means it's now my project.

What happens seems to behave like an immobilizer issue. It starts but the engine will rev and cut out almost immediately. However, it does not display an immobilizer warning light. Also, the display in the center of the gauge cluster is blank and I simply haven't driven this car enough to know if this is normal or not. I've attached a photo of the gauge cluster with the key turned to the on position. Note it also has a warning light for a spoiler which I don't think this car has.

Any thoughts you have at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Hmmm, a number of things; could cause this, first: have you scanned the car for trouble codes? Please post ANY codes; that you are getting (code number; not just the description).

Here is a good page; that goes over the immobilizer system: (note: you have a immobilizer 2 system: as your car is a 2001):

Immobilizer FAQ and troubleshooting for VW and Audi, with key replacement tips | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

I recommend joining the site (free); as a member, you are given access to more information that non members do not see on the site.

If a car, has a battery that runs low (after 2 weeks; the active alarm, can kill the battery); the immobilizer can go goofy and lose it mind, you can try a "hard reset". Remove the positive and negative battery cables; touch them together for a bit and reinstall. This will clear the ecu and see if; the starting issue, is any different or goes away.

The fact, that the immo light is not flashing and the lcd is blank in the speedo, is an odd sign.

After the hard reset; I would try seeing if you are getting spark (ignition) and gas (fuel pump). You can pull a spark plug; ground it and see if there is any spark. If you are getting spark; you could remove the fuel pump cover, feel/hear if it is coming on and possibly, spray some starting fluid in the throttle body.

Try those couple of things and based upon the results; we can go from there. Thanks.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Off the top of my head, I would check the RPM, Crank and CAM Sensors, Spark and fuel would be the my next step and before the immobilizer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts