NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to start my car and the key wouldn鈥檛 turn over to start or turn off. I had to disconnect battery and the antitheft is flashing. I changed the batteries in the key fob, tried different way to reset the key fob still nothing. Please help! 馃槶

5/23/10 <3
So you still can't get the the key to turn? Or is it but the car isn't turning on? The immobilizer would let the car start and then shut it off, so you may have another issue. What year is your car? What is the exact light that is flashing?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It鈥檚 an 01 VW beetle and the (the car with the key is flashing) that鈥檚 the light I see flashing. And when the key is in the ignition it鈥檚 stuck in auxiliary.

5/23/10 <3
That sounds like you have an issue with the ignition itself. The immobilizer won't keep the key from turning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The key turns but it won鈥檛 crank over. I did have a dead battery so I got a new one hoping that will fix it.

Registered
Has the new battery been installed yet. A low/dead battery can cause all kinds of issues and random codes to pop up, including immo issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yes just replaced new batteries and tested the alternator and still nothing. The key still won鈥檛 Crank on or off but will turn. And antitheft light is still flashing. The key fob isn鈥檛 working either

Registered
Just to be clear. You changed the batteries in your key fob, correct? Did you change the big battery under the hood?

Registered
If you hav a good battery, adequate voltage and the the starter is good, you might have a bad ignition switch or the barrel could be broken. They are not expensive and easy to change; you could remove the switch, turn it with a screwdriver, if it works, the barrel/steering wheel lock, which connects the key/lock to the the switch or key lock, either maybe broken.

More info here: (note: be sure to check the wires, terminal ends and plug for heat damage, melting, corrosion):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts