VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Convertible 2.0/auto
Last night the alarm went off. The key fob doesn't work (yes new batts), so I went out and opened the car, turned on the ignition and then shut it off when the alarm stopped. Should I not have done that? Because this morning the battery was dead. We jumped it and it fires right uo, but the immobilizer has apparently tripped.

I've disconnected the battery, and will try again after the computer forgets itself. Any ideas, advice?

Mahalo nui loa*

* Thanks so much:confused:

·
Registered
15,127 Posts
You may have; a number of issues going on here. A common problem; is the door lock module micro switches/solder joints, will fail and this will trip the alarm. Here is a thread; that explains, how the system works.

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

You can attempt to repair them but replacement, is what most people do and is the easiest solution.

As for "resetting" the immobilizer; you can remove, the positive and negative battery terminals, touch them together for 30 seconds and that will reset the ecm/immobilizer.

As for a key; that is not recognized and kicking on the Immobilizer, some have left the key in the "on" position for 10-15 minutes and then, the car will start (not guaranteed to work but you can try). You could also; try another key and see if the problem is still there. Specific testing procedures for the Immobilizer can be run but would require a VW specific scan tool, like VCDS.

Another thing: a low battery, charging problems; can cause the Immobilizer to have a fit and get confused. At a basic level; I would have the charging system tested and be sure everything is working as it should (battery, alternator, etc.).

As for the how the immobilizer system works and what problems you are having, each part of the system has to work correctly for the immobilizer, to allow the car to start. Keep in mind; the blinking immobilizer light, indicates there is a fault in the system.

Here is a excellent site; that explains how the system works and how to troubleshoot, the system. For the more advanced programming info; you need to join the site, I recommend you do and it is free.

Immobilizer FAQ and troubleshooting for VW and Audi, with key replacement tips | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Key and remote replacement and troubleshooting: mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

I cannot emphasize enough; that you order a VW compatible scan tool, to move forward with your diagnostics, troubleshooting and repair issues. You are already; dealing with typical VW problems, that are part of the proprietary systems that require advanced diagnostics and you need access, to a VW specific scan tool, to read the codes related to them (e.g. immobilizer trouble codes, etc.). I would at the minumum; get a VAG401 off of amazon.com @ $50 or invest in the Ross Tech VCDS @ $250-$350.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=amazon+vag+401

Ross-Tech: Home

Let us know; how deep you want to go into repairing your own vehicle or if you want to leave things, to a pro shop that specializes in Volkswagens, to figure things out.

We are here to help but you also, need to decide how deep "down the rabbit hole" you want to go and if you are willing to tackle the more in depth repairs yourself. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Immobilizer

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Got things set right by battery disconnect reset. Running fine, now trying to deal with Monsoon radio in SAFE mode, and no code available. I understand pull radio (special,tools required) to get serial number off the chassis and submit to VW dealer. Our island doesn't have a dealer, and the one in Honolulu is a stealership. I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
15,127 Posts
Please refer; to my response, in the other thread. There are sites online; where you can get the code from using the head unit serial number (some free, some fee based), you could call a vw dealer to ask for the code or contact vw customer car, see if they can help. (call their 800 number, chat or email).

It looks like; there are a number of VW dealers in Hawaii: (you could call, each one and see if any can give you a code for you or see what solutions, they might offer you)

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...agen+dealers+in+hawaii&rflfq=1&rlha=0&tbm=lcl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Radio reset

The 3rd time I started the car the radio decided it hadn't been stolen after all and came back on ... with presets intact!

All seems well. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
15,127 Posts
Cool, glad it worked out for you! :) For a long term solution; you might want to get the removal tool and get the security code, that way if it happens again... you can input the code and be able to fix the problem. My New Beetle it s a 2002; I have not had to input the code very often. Usually, if I just cycle; the radio off/on a couple of times, the "safe" mode will go away. However, I did have to input the code; a couple of times, when I replaced the speedo cluster and I think, when my car was dead for a number of months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts