VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a new member with a question about the immobilizer in a 2001 new beetle. My daughter just bought the car, but it only came with one key, so we took it to the dealer to get another made. Unfortunately it sets off the immobilizer, and they have tried to reprogram it again to no avail. They believe the cluster is going bad, but VW no longer makes them, and I can't find any online.
Any ideas how to disengage the immobilizer? If she loses the one key the car is no longer drivable.
Thanks, Eric

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Its probably not the immobilizer going bad, its likely the piece inside the ignition barrel that is going bad. There is a DIY somewhere on here on how to fix it. Is the car the turbo model? I know when you tune the car a lot of tuning companies also include Immobilizer defeats so that you dont have to always reprogram the car. My car had the sensor in the ignition start to go bad and wouldn't let me drive the car every now and then. Once I got it tuned the immo wants to kill the car sometimes, as indicated by a blinking light, but the ECU tune wont let it. I would see if you could sweet talk a tuner into somehow only uploading the immo defeat onto your daughters bug and see if that helps out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Hello from the warm reaches of North Carolina!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts