VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 2010 Beetle form a used cat lot. I was given one working key and one new CUT key that is not chip programed. It starts and then stalls as due to not being programed. I just do not want to pay a vw dealer the high cost. Is it possible to just completely bypass the Immobilizer . I don't care if it make it easy to steal. How can I get the key programed free? I am located in the Detroit Mi area.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,481 Posts
In order to "bypass" the immobilizer, you'd need to do a immo defeat, which is usually done by tuning on the ECU. That will likely cost you more than the key programming at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
In order to "bypass" the immobilizer, you'd need to do a immo defeat, which is usually done by tuning on the ECU. That will likely cost you more than the key programming at the dealer.
Exactly. An immobilizer defeat costs $100-200 from a chip tuner. Just let the dealer fix your car and stop being cheap. If your car gets stolen by some punk who was able to start your car with a flat blade screwdriver and the insurance company finds out that you had an immobilizer defeat installed you are going to be responsible, they won't do a thing for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly. An immobilizer defeat costs $100-200 from a chip tuner. Just let the dealer fix your car and stop being cheap. If your car gets stolen by some punk who was able to start your car with a flat blade screwdriver and the insurance company finds out that you had an immobilizer defeat installed you are going to be responsible, they won't do a thing for you.
Ahhhh Thanks for nothing! I came here for some info and only received judgmental disparaging replies. Calling me cheap was unwarranted. I never asked how much it would cost just if it was doable by myself. I would rather spend $200 to beat the stealerships. That is the point. As to some punk stealing my car, nonsense. 1. the odds of someone wanting my particular Bug is astronomical. 2. Most everyone knows they are built with a imbo, how he know mine was removed? 3. In your mind I spoz that cars built w/o a imobo are UN-insurable eh? 4. You are Soooo wrong Insurance companies Absolutely have to pay with or without a bypass, you obviously enjoy pontificating instead of being helpful.

Once again, Thanks for nothing.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,481 Posts
Well we gave you the info you wanted, you just apparently didn't want to hear it. You can't just "bypass" the immo. And an immo defeat doesn't always work, so you may spend the money for nothing. If you are complaining because $65 is a lot, but then $200 is fine? Well, that's just silly. Get your key programmed and call it a day.

If you don't find anyone local for the defeat, you'll have to ship out the ECU so you're car will be down until you get it back. Much more worth it to have the key done and then you're set.

·
VDub Noob
218 Posts
I would do this. Go to the VW dealer and give them your VIN and tell them that you need your FCC ID for the key that matches your VIN. Go onto eBay or a used key fob site and match the FCC ID that the dealer gave you and you will have a programmed key.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,481 Posts
You'll have a fob, but you won't have the immobilizer matched.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jerks

I was suspect at first, now I am sure this forum is filled with dealership employees. You don't respectfully answer a question , just attack the question and continue to advise going to the dealer ( to feather your own nest). Why I want to do something is my concern not yours. There were a few possible answers such as (1.) Yes it can be done and here is how_____(2) It can not be done this is why_____(3) I don't know if it can be done. There are many independent VW mechanic shops I would patronize before going to a dealer, my choice. All this crap about timing chains and car theft and such is just a just a diversion of the topic I posted. Sarcastically attacking a legitimate question while hiding behind a pc is IMO is cowardly and speaks volumes. Good luck in your career as a VW shill.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,481 Posts
I wasn't being sarcastic or attacking. I was telling the truth. I never said you had to go to the dealer, but you'd need to get an immo defeat, which costs much more than key programming, and isn't guaranteed. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but we are far from dealer employees...my cars haven't seen the dealer in over 5 years and I support my local VW mechanic instead. But if I needed a new key, I would go to the dealer to get the immobilizer matched. I wouldn't pay them to program the remote though...that I'd do myself.

And also as I said, you'd likely have to send the ECU out to get the defeat done, so your car would be down until it came back. And again, no guarantees it would work (I know someone who tried the defeat with no success). Its just not worth the time and money IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I'm not a dealership employee, I just have common sense. If you feel like hacking an almost brand new car for 4x the price knock yourself out. After spending all of that money the keyfob still won't operate the locks.

You obviously can't admit that your idea isn't the best option but whatever.

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
The forum is filled with dealership employees? :p

Okay, you caught us. VWOA pays us $23.00 a post to help the company. :p

You must need to by pass the IMMO for a reason.

Sounds like a really Hot Bug!

Good luck!

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
Having been stuck to the tune of ~$800 to fix an immobilizer, I have to agree with the OP. If there is a way to defeat it, I would, too. As far as I can tell, the immobilizer does NOTHING for the owner. I have insurance to cover my loss if the car is stolen; the immobilizer is for the benefit of the insurance company, not me, yet I have to pay for the expense of its initial installation and maintenance throughout the life of the car.

If immobilizers were an extra-cost option, how many do you think they'd sell?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts