NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Permanoob
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, we just bought a 2008 convertible with 6 speed auto. My wife finally has her dream car. But shes picky about the MPG. Anything we can do for even a minor increase over stock? She does drive like a grandma, so thats a plus :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You are not really going to be able to increase the mileage over the stock baseline easily or cost effectively.

But the question is there an issue with the mileage now? What is the mileage you are currently achieving?

Biggest impact to mileage is a bad thermostat and a cold running engine.

You need a scan tool that can read real time ECU data and see what the engine temp is running. Should be at or slightly above about 205F.

Soft thermostats are all over the place, about 30% of the cars I look at have soft thermostats.

·
Permanoob
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its really great in my opinion. We are getting over 31. I told her to go slower and coast :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
volks r cool
275 Posts
M.p.g

I also have the exact same car....Also curoius on what i can do also...and I do drive like a grandma...but the best I can do is 28 overall.....

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Get a good air filter, a K&N drop-in; keep the tires properly inflated. As said above make sure a good thermostat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I also have the exact same car....Also curoius on what i can do also...and I do drive like a grandma...but the best I can do is 28 overall.....
Real time OBD scan tool or software, check engine coolant temp, should be at least 205F and fuel trims.

Soft thermostats that cause engine to run cool are a major issue and will cause fuel economy to tank quickly.

But 28 is EPA rating, a lot of variables play into what other people may get for fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You need a OBD scan tool that can read real time data to check the fuel trims and engine temps.

You say you have an aux temp gauge and it reads 180F. Where and how is this gauge connected? I cannot comment on anything other than the OE temp sensor that is located in the output side of the cylinder head. 180f sounds low as the engine has a 185 thermostat, but it depends on where your sensor is placed.

Again, reading temp with an OBD tool, it should be at least 205F.

Suggest you check this link out for more on OBD tools and software - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...d-scan-tools-software-options.html#post837491

1 - 13 of 13 Posts