NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here really dove into the in car shift slop?

Everyone keeps pointing me to linkage adjustment, but honestly I think my real problem may be the bushings internal on the shift tower or gear box. I'll say it out flat that I am the most beginner of diy mechanics, but I dont think in gear the shifter should have half an inch of play. It's causing some issues for me for first gear as it's hard to actually find the proper path to get in there at times, however at other times it will just slide right in no problem.

I've ordered speedsource brass shift linkage ends (waiting to arrive), however i doubt this will truely fix my issues. Is there a DIY on looking at the bushings in the gear box? I've looked and can't really find anything related to that on this forum

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
I've ordered speedsource brass shift linkage ends (waiting to arrive), however i doubt this will truely fix my issues. Is there a DIY on looking at the bushings in the gear box? I've looked and can't really find anything related to that on this forum
i would have gotten the neuspeed short shifter and called it a day. there is a 13mm blot on top. you need to loosen that and wiggle the crap out of it (or very carefully use a prybar) to pull it straigt up. i would use a paint pen to mark the location so when you put it back on you can put it in the correct spot. i wish i had made a tech write up when i replaced mine to help you.

-jd

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
What year of car do you have? The early cars had a mk3 style shifter and I know my '99 definitely didn't have as tight of a shifter as my GTI does.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
What year of car do you have? The early cars had a mk3 style shifter and I know my '99 definitely didn't have as tight of a shifter as my GTI does.
good point.... i just assumed he was the same. but even with my bug (turbo-s) they are different from the 5 speeds.

-jd

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2000 5 speed 2.0

I looked at the dieselgeek system, but this is my girlfriends car she bought for 2000 bucks. I'm just trying to make it comfortable for her to drive, not really looking to dump a ton of money into it.

any info/pictures explaining anything will be beneficial. Clues where to look at, basically I'm all ears for any advice that anyone can provide - I have no clue what I'm doing really :)

·
Registered
14,068 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at that part/tutorial and posted it in my photo thread.

I need to look at the linkage area this weekend and see if there is anything that is damaged that could be causing this (something has to be). I drove the car last night, the issue is that there is so much slop that going up to first from neutral you are too far left - I've found that once I hit the sort of barrier a half inch up heading to first, if i wiggle the shifter to the right it will go into gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts